Friction drive problems!

Still waiting on parts! Looks like they are lost in Chicago. Dave seems to think the clutch is spinning off backwards he said they will do that every once in awhile. I asked him about the engine, and he said that shouldn't be the problem. If this happens again I'm moving on to the next build!
Oh yeah been there done that. Had the same problem with the drum.

Oh yeah been there done that. Had the same problem with the drum.[/QUOTE Suggestion if you haven't had the problem fixed. The that comes with the kit is week, damn Chinese metal. Have it spot welded in the back by the holes and threads. That gives it a lot more strength. If you cant have that welded, order a Stanton Drum.

I recently got the same kit from bikeberry and the clutch drum broke the same way with maybe 5 miles on it, they eventually sent me a new drum(seems like half their site is "out of stock") but now it's noisy like the pads are rubbing and it's been holding together for a few weeks now(40-50 mi a week) but still noisy. Also my choke lever was broken during shipping so I've been waiting for 2 months for them to send me a new carburetor (out of stock). They forgot the gas tank in the first shipment! Then when I finally got it they didn't send enough nuts for the mounting brackets. Kill switch connecters from throttle to engine didn't match and the wiring wasn't long enough so I bought a separate switch and mounted closer to motor.
Been nothing but a hassle so far.

Folks with this issue should buy the machined 1 piece drum/spindle from staton, not the 2 piece. Get it upgraded when you order it. Also upgrade to the HD clutch if you are using a 2hp motor or better. That way it's plug n play when it arrives.

You get what you pay for, and you need to be careful how you use it. I bought a Staton kit with a honda 35 3 years ago. I even pull a trailer at times. I am getting old and there are some steep hills where I live. When I go down hill, I just slow down enough to where the clutch disengages and let inertia do the rest. I get the bike up to 10 miles or so before I engage the engine. I treat it as a pedal assist until I get in the flats. I have had no problems.

Back