Friction drive problems!

Only one company I know of supplied sprag clutch/one way bearing rollers.

BMP folded years ago.

Sprag clutches are redundant.

The centrifugal clutch keeps the roller disengaged from the engine.

Only one company I know of supplied sprag clutch/one way bearing rollers.

BMP folded years ago.

Sprag clutches are redundant.

The centrifugal clutch keeps the roller disengaged from the engine.
But not apparently if you are moving fast enough, then it locks up with the bell and acts as a Jake brake...

When you're "moving fast enough", you're only going to spin the BELL faster, not the clutch pads.

Even if the pads are slightly engaged at whatever engine speed, they'll slip, not grab more.

The clutch's rpm engagement should match the engine and the rider's expectations.

If the clutch engages below engine idle, the rider must lower the idle.
If engine speed cannot be lowered, then the clutch must engage at a higher rpm.

If the clutch works properly for its application, then no
Jack brake" at any speed.

When you're "moving fast enough", you're only going to spin the BELL faster, not the clutch pads.

Even if the pads are slightly engaged at whatever engine speed, they'll slip, not grab more.

The clutch's rpm engagement should match the engine and the rider's expectations.

If the clutch engages below engine idle, the rider must lower the idle.
If engine speed cannot be lowered, then the clutch must engage at a higher rpm.

If the clutch works properly for its application, then no
Jack brake" at any speed.
Then why are these people having problems? Is the bell getting pulled off because the clutch is slipping in the wrong direction? I'm just trying to figure out why slipping while moving too fast for the motor is bad while slipping when moving slower is generally OK...

Only one person is having this problem with a friction drive setup.
I have heard that this engine also breaks clutch drums in different transmission setups.

JMO, this problem is engine-specific.
I believe this HuaSheng's clutch is locked in at a very low rpm.

It's like dumping the clutch and flooring the throttle in 1st gear with a Toyota truck at freeway speeds.

Something's bound to break.

Even if this setup had a sprag clutch, the roller would STILL break.....

The damage occurs not from coasting at moderate speed.....

but the minute you floor the throttle and fully engage the clutch.....

while coasting at moderate speed.

It'd be similar if I was rolling downhill at 40mph.....

then shifted into 1st gear and throttled the engine.

I'd never do that; that's asking for stuff to break.

Only one person is having this problem with a friction drive setup.
I have heard that this engine also breaks clutch drums in different transmission setups.

JMO, this problem is engine-specific.
I believe this HuaSheng's clutch is locked in at a very low rpm.

It's like dumping the clutch and flooring the throttle in 1st gear with a Toyota truck at freeway speeds.

Something's bound to break.

Even if this setup had a sprag clutch, the roller would STILL break.....

The damage occurs not from coasting at moderate speed.....

but the minute you floor the throttle and fully engage the clutch.....

while coasting at moderate speed.

It'd be similar if I was rolling downhill at 40mph.....

then shifted into 1st gear and throttled the engine.

I'd never do that; that's asking for stuff to break.
Yes it's exactly like a Toyota, as long as that manual transmission is locked to the wheels and doesn't freewheel, which it doesn't. But if that same vehicle would have freewheeling drive wheels then it doesn't matter how hard you floor it or what gear you drop it in if it's lower than the correct gear. That's why is a freewheel, it frees the wheel from the drivetrain if it's moving faster than what is being spun by the motor..

I don't see the comparison at all if you throw a freewheeling system in it's simply not going to do jack.

Yes, the manual transmission is locked to the wheels.

The Toyota's clutch, or the neutral gear in the transmission is the freewheel

Dumping the clutch, for those who don't know, is a term for engaging the clutch.

When the clutch engages it locks the engine to the wheels.

Solly?

Yes, the manual transmission is locked to the wheels.

The Toyota's clutch, or the neutral gear in the transmission is the freewheel

Dumping the clutch, for those who don't know, is a term for engaging the clutch.

When the clutch engages it locks the engine to the wheels.

Solly?
that's still vastly different than a freewheeling bit between the roller and and clutch bell. I K own this for a fact, my rear wheel has a freewheel, and since my lowest gear ratio at max rpm is like 10mph then I can be driving 40mph, leaving my clutch engaged, and shift down to "first" and gun it, but nothing will happen because the rear wheel is moving too fast for that ratio, and so my wheel freewheels while the sprocket spins about 4 times too slow to engage anything whatsoever.

Doesn't matter if it's an auto clutch or a manual, if the freewheel is functioning correctly then there's no way the wheel can engage the motor unless it is rolling backwards. I cannot bump start my bike as a result, nor will anyone who uses a freewheeling jackshaft system, because the chain won't roll forward with the wheel.

Are you just not getting what I'm saying? Even the new bullet train specifically uses a one way clutch between the bell and the drive gear, so if Joe schmo starts rolling down a hill at idle he can give it gas and the bike won't slow down as the clutch engages, and as a result doesn't try to push the motor up to speed to match the rear wheel.

I know I'm not an idiot, not saying you are, but I'm telling you that what you are saying just doesn't add up, I've got a working example in my back yard why.

It may not add up to you. It adds up to me, and to others, I'm presuming.
Trucks on the freeway is a simile, to put it into perspective.

Come on, don't take this as a direct corelation of automobile application/operation and small engines on bicycles.

I'm not comparing bullet train engines in my perspective.

We're getting away from the point, why the clutch and roller are self-destructing.

I still say it's the HuaSheng engine and clutch.

Engine-specific.

Armchair troubleshooting.

Last edited:
Back