Friction Drive Quick Release Axel

Solux

Local time
10:42 AM
Hey all, I want to install a GX50 on my 700x38 Giant hybrid bike. The wheels have quick releases. I read somewhere that a solid axel is suggested? Is it possible to install the support arms from the FD kit with a quick release? Thanks.

The Quick Release Axle is a No No. Ya don't want that skinny axle breaking @ 30+ mph

The Quick Release Axle is a No No. Ya don't want that skinny axle breaking @ 30+ mph
Does that mean I will need a new wheel? Or would a bolt on axel work with my current wheel?

I guess I could take it to the bike shop and see if they can do it.

Support mounts should be attached to the eyelets meant for supporting a rear rack. On most frames there's usually 2 to choose from right near where the rear axle nut would be.

Hey all, I want to install a GX50 on my 700x38 Giant hybrid bike. The wheels have quick releases. I read somewhere that a solid axel is suggested? Is it possible to install the support arms from the FD kit with a quick release? Thanks.
Are you asking about quick release axles for rear wheels or for the F/D housing?

Staton uses quick release axles on the rear of their F/D housing.

Support mounts should be attached to the eyelets meant for supporting a rear rack. On most frames there's usually 2 to choose from right near where the rear axle nut would be.
Are these what you are talking about? Is it okay to mount the support bars here?

Attachments

• 20200730_154530.jpg
    20200730_154530.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 194
I personally don't trust quick release axles. The rear axle kept slipping forward and upon trying to tighten it up so it wouldn't slip the Dam quick release bolt broke

Yes Solex those are the mounts. In my experience s**t can the 2 bolts Staton ships to mount the lower support strut arms. Go to Ace and buy SS bolts to use. Get them just the right length to be able to put a small lock nut on inside of the frame. You'll find on the cassette side that the nut will interfere w/using the smallest cassette because of clearance issue. No big deal to me I always only use the bigger gears anyways so it's no big deal to me. Because the engine supports pivot in lowering and raising the motor off of the tire those lock nuts keep the bolt from coming out/unscrewing. The Staton bolts, had one brake on me 20miles from home and that sucks. Thankfully I had a tie rap to use on it to barely hold the support arm in place. I had to feather the throttle all the way home but made it.

Yes Solex those are the mounts. In my experience sh*t can the 2 bolts Staton ships to mount the lower support strut arms. Go to Ace and buy SS bolts to use. Get them just the right length to be able to put a small lock nut on inside of the frame. You'll find on the cassette side that the nut will interfere w/using the smallest cassette because of clearance issue. No big deal to me I always only use the bigger gears anyways so it's no big deal to me. Because the engine supports pivot in lowering and raising the motor off of the tire those lock nuts keep the bolt from coming out/unscrewing. The Staton bolts, had one brake on me 20miles from home and that sucks. Thankfully I had a tie rap to use on it to barely hold the support arm in place. I had to feather the throttle all the way home but made it.
Thank you so much for the wisdom! Now I'm just waiting for my damn engine to ship! It's been like 2-3 days since I ordered from Staton. How long does it usually take for him to ship?

Did you tell Staton you have a 700 size wheel on your bike? You might need longer support bars, so your friction housing rides parallel.

Back