Friction Drive- vs.-Golden Eagle - 35 cc

Status
Not open for further replies.
GEBE quote from site

Just to offer a reference on above break-in period.

"Featuring excellent power-to-weight, all Tanaka engines are built with the highest quality engine components for long life and quick and easy starting. As with all engines we sell, this long life engine will take up to 2000 miles for total 'break-in' to attain peak performance. During the break-in period, never mix the oil rich, always use 50:1 gas/oil mix ratios."

Miles are not the same as hours. The original post mentioned hours and at an average of 20 mpg, that equates to 40,000 miles. I don't think it takes that long to break an engine in.

Guess that is true enough.

I had not noted the difference, but with the way I travel, it would be years before I "broke" a motor, either way. That is why I am thinking fomoving to the Tanaka 3300.

Engine ccs

Yes, of course, you are correct.

I tend to use the company terms or just round up.

For example, the Tanaka 3300 or 33 is really 32 ccs.

Thanks for update, Torques.

BTW, I spoke with Dennis at GEBE, again; and he remains steadfast that 2000 hours will be needed to truly break in these little motors, particularly if they are chrome lined etc.

I guess I will have to replace the car with the bike, but I only put on about 6,000 miles on the car annually as it is, so will have to ride "idling" if I want to at least groove it in.

Amazing, when you think about how sturdy these little engines are. But, where do I put my "sticks?"

Ha Ha, have fun riding. I have 3900 miles on my motor since August. I really don't know what my average miles per hour are but if I say 16, then I only have around 243 hours on my motor. I still find it hard to believe they break in that long.

Hive did you get the new tanaka yet? if so how hows the performance been?

UPDATE on NEW TANAKA 3300

First ride, it took me up hill with nary a pedal turn on my part. But, being first run, I did give it some help, but it was nothing and I went straight up with no sweat- it was 85 degrees.

I like the engine so far, but it is a bit louder than GX-25 and right behind my right ear...

Sly - Tanaka

Engine is up and going strong. It is very good machine, torque is outstanding and does what I want it to do, though I only have run it about 20 minutes or so.

Am fooling around with exhaust pipe re-route, to lower volume a bit, as port is about a foot from my ear and noisy, but not obsessively so.

So far, no complaints.

2000 hours? That is impossible.
I was told it was 2000 miles for break in. Lets see....24 hours in a day....your talking almost 84 days of driving 24 hours. I am sure it's not 2000 hours....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back