Friction Drive with Predator 79cc Or Other motor? Need help form the pros =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

yotataco

Local time
5:32 PM
Hello there, I am new to gasoline powered bikes, Years ago i built a Lithium brushless, but got out of it.

I just want to cruse on a motorized bike, simply and not get too involved. Speed doesn't matter just a little engine roar, ill be pedaling the whole time as well with it. System must be 4 stroke, i dig the sound and intend to use regular gas.

I will try my best to be clear and not redundant i don't want to waste anyone's time, and before i begin i sincerely thank you for taking a time out to help a total newb/novice.

I have decided i want a simple friction drive set up, I have a few bikes and will most likely ping pong to them.
I dig the friction set up and cant wait to set one up.

I noticed MANY friction kits on Staton-inc.com and i am eager to buy one
Having said that i am looking for a drop in motor solution, I would like the motor to be cheap to outright replace, and also be able to get parts like clutches, and carbs for it.
I still have not decided on what Staton friction kit to buy because I have not decided on a motor.
Motors dont seem to tell me what diameter clutch they have, if any.

Would that 79cc Predator motor drop into one of those friction transmissions? (they seem to have a lot of models with various sized clutch bells)
I don't see a way of verifying it in a spec sheet.
It also appears that the Predator does not come with a clutch, i sadly do not know what clutch to buy that would connect to the shaft.
I kinda wish i could just add the parts to cart and charge my credit card and then begin assembly, I have a lot on my plate right now in life, and don't have the time to do serious modding welding and fab work.

I know about the:
https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Pulley-Reducer-Sleeve-Bushing/dp/B01FDZWFFE
to increase the shaft diameter, but...i still dont know what clutch would fit on it, kinda lost.

If the predator is just not the best option, Id like to know, perhaps there are other Motors out there that are simple drop in solutions and are reliable for many miles?
the predator is VERY cheap...a huge plus
Also, I have been looking for motors that can be bought easily, no waiting due to limited stock or rare to find.

Anyway i dont want this initial post to go on too long, i appreciate your time and look forward to hearing and learning from you.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
you could call Staton, they are very helpful with excellent customer service, even correcting a mistake you might make when you order from the website,,
79cc Pred has a 5/8" PTO shaft. little bit long needing offset to line up. a small 4 stroke would be easier to do a friction drive. Predators really are not small or light like 35-53cc motors
hope to hear how you get things along!

Awesome thanks for the info i will be looking into this further. I will be sending some emails out as well to Staton. They have some serious variety hehe.
I been wanting to do this for a long time now.

Yoda, for 4 strokes on a rear FD use a honda 35cc or the HS144f/142f. With the 35cc you won't be happy because you'll want more umph and speed. The 142f is more powerful but is rev limited in it's speed. Want to be really happy use the 144f, more torque and speed not rev limited. These motors at most weigh 12 lbs and it matters when they're attached to one side of the bike plus sticking out some. All those motors are reliable and won't break the bank. In the near future honda is coming out with a new gx50cc micro motor. Not the GXH50CC but totally new motor. That motor might just be the ultimate plugnplay MAB motor unless the price is way too much. A lot of us are waiting for that motor to come out.

The huasheng will work it just doesn't look that great like he said bulky its best for chain drive. There are a number of 2 strokes some jap alot of clones. Sometimes I get tired of the smoke smell and can see where a 4 stroke is better.

I just discovered that Grubee has a Predator mounting kit and transmission for an in the frame installation. Wouldn't be friction set up but...i am suprised. it says "New for 2019" Sold out atm though.
BikeBerry has that really cool lock and load kit, I heard of Grubee and Staton, but i dont know too much about bikeberry, they have a BBR Engine? I have heard about the GX35, and the GX50 ..also the Huasheng 144f/142 of course ...but not the BBR engine. I wonder if it is as reliable and...if a swap out for other engines is possible should the engine die one day.

I read some great things about the Huasheng motor, it seems that it mounts up to a lot of kits as well.

BB is just a reseller of imported Chinese parts and kits. they call everything BBR tuning but sell the same stuff as you see on ebay/Amazon but higher priced

Yoda there's only 2 FD kits out there now that are worth the money, DAX and Staton. The others you see on cheap vendor sites are loaded w/problems. Bad bearings, holes not machined and squared, cheap bell and spindle combo. Also if there is an issue it's all on you w/no customer service or warranty. Dax or Staton w/stand behind their stuff, not that it's needed. Pay now or pay later, good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back