Friction Drives - Staton, Inc.

Quiet

I want my bike to be quiet. Partly because the less I annoy the neighbors, the less likely they are to annoy me. At least the human ones, the opposite may be true for the bears and moose, but I'll take my chances there.
This was my first attempt to make it quieter. I just found a piece of copper pipe out in the junkyard, and JB Weld'ed it on to the exhaust outlet. It does quiet the motor down some. It still sounds like a weed eater. I suspect that a lot of the noise is not from the exhaust.
IMG_1319_1.jpg

IMG_1321_1.jpg
The JB Weld seems to be holding. We'll see if the solder holds when I take a long ride and get it up to temperature. If It doesn't. I'll bend a piece and try it on there.

Also there is the possibility that I'll just knock it off there while I'm riding.:D

Yeah I've tested JBweld on a damaged exhaust before. I think its just too hot to hold something structurally. By the pictures it almost looks like you could fit a small secondary high flow muffler onto those bolts somehow. A muffler made for a slightly larger engine flush mount to your existing exhaust may quiet that sucker down a good deal. I'm looking to get one of those zippy little engines soon so I'll have to check it out.

Been there, done that on the TLE43, forget JB Weld and solder, won't hold. You can silver braze it with a MAPP torch or make another flange from 1/4" thick aluminum bar. Cut a counter sink in the muffler side of the flange and flare the copper tube to fit the counter sink. That was my last method and it worked. If I were to do it again, I would braze it with silver or bronze.

By the way, if you do use a silver alloy, make sure it has a melting temp over 1000 degrees. I believe what I've been using is 56% silver and melts at 1230 degrees. You will anneal the hard copper fittings at those temps, but it shouldn't matter.

Alaskavan: - did you see this thread, where kerf talks about the silicon tubing?

It would seem to me that just adding a foot or so of this tubing could help absorb some of the high frequency (the most annoying) component of your exhaust noise.

Update: per the davesmotors link that kerf provided, the silicon tubing
... provides SIGNIFICANT noise reduction when connected to stock mufflers or tuned pipes. Can be trimmed to any desired length - significant noise reduction can be achieved using only a few inches of tubing.

Last edited:
Thanks Lou. I've been watching these threads. The silicone tubing does look like a promising idea. I think my next foray into silence will involve a muffler off a 50cc Honda generator. If I mount it on the back of the rack, silicone tubing may be the way to run the exhaust into it.

I'm thinking about finding a catalytic converter muffler & do the same, to try to clean up the exhaust a bit, as well as quiet things down. The Mitsubishi TLE43 is CARB II certified, but a motor that's CARB II certified (two stroke OR 4 stroke) can still throw out as much pollution per mile as two cars.

Yup. TWO cars.

Thanks Lou. I've been watching these threads. The silicone tubing does look like a promising idea. I think my next foray into silence will involve a muffler off a 50cc Honda generator. If I mount it on the back of the rack, silicone tubing may be the way to run the exhaust into it.

Off the subject, what is it like living in Alaska and what the heck do you do there?

OK. The Silicon tube didn't do much at all in reducing the noise. It does seem to be a good way to connect exhaust piping but, as a noise killer, it just doesn't do much.

Back