Friction generator run off 12v battery.

GW's Motorized

Local time
11:38 AM
I'm currently building a MB with a bt80 kit. The kit is electric start and charges a 12v battery. I ordered a battery and a friction drive lights and they both should be here tomorrow. I know that the friction drive lights have a generator that produces around 6v and I am unsure if hooking the lights to a 12v system will damage them.

I want to hook the lights to the battery so they don't shut off when I'm stopped. If I can hook the lights up to the battery should I remove the generator from the light system?

I know that the friction drive lights
Friction drive lights on motorised bikes tend to fall apart quite quickly due to the fact that they are usually designed for regular pedal bike speeds...When you take that same unit and go 3 and 4 times the speed they were designed for, they fall apart.

I'm currently building a MB with a bt80 kit. The kit is electric start and charges a 12v battery. I ordered a battery and a friction drive lights and they both should be here tomorrow. I know that the friction drive lights have a generator that produces around 6v and I am unsure if hooking the lights to a 12v system will damage them.

I want to hook the lights to the battery so they don't shut off when I'm stopped. If I can hook the lights up to the battery should I remove the generator from the light system?

Maybe this can help these guys have hooked up lights to their BT

Why not just buy 12 volt lights that run off of the "charging" battery from the engine? I am not familiar with that engine or what type of 12volt battery it keeps charged for starting. I use a LiPo rechargeable battery of sufficient amperage to give my full 12 volt light system 3-4 or more hours of run time and I have a connector harness that is easy to disconnect and connect the charger for a few hours when the batter is low. My system includes High and Low beam front light, rear license plate light, rear tail and brake actuated light and left and right rear turn signals

Why not just buy 12 volt lights that run off of the "charging" battery from the engine? I am not familiar with that engine or what type of 12volt battery it keeps charged for starting. I use a LiPo rechargeable battery of sufficient amperage to give my full 12 volt light system 3-4 or more hours of run time and I have a connector harness that is easy to disconnect and connect the charger for a few hours when the batter is low. My system includes High and Low beam front light, rear license plate light, rear tail and brake actuated light and left and right rear turn signals
Did you build the harness or did you buy it from somewhere? If you did make it could you draw up a wire diagram for it?

I built it. It is pretty elaborate but I am happy to share the details and components with you. I only did a rough sketch of the wiring to keep track of the 5 wires in the bundle that fed the rear assembly and form the front switch which is a typical MC switch that your mirror mounts to. I will put something together this evening after work. Here are a few quick pictures of the rear assembly. Next time I would use grommets in the holes.....

Attachments

• IMG_1489.JPG
    IMG_1489.JPG
    214.7 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_1490.JPG
    IMG_1490.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1491.JPG
    IMG_1491.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1513.JPG
    IMG_1513.JPG
    172.3 KB · Views: 94

Wrench has your answer. Change bulbs to 12v and run a 12v system right off the BT battery.

Back