friction roller dai/speed

good advice mountain man, i will call my local coppers and find out what they say.

good advice mountain man, i will call my local coppers and find out what they say.

you will probably find them to be pretty cool
monies are getting much tighter these days
but I did find pooolice and sheriff sites
where there were officers who's main jobs seemed to be
answering questions through e-mail

for once I can say -- that's a darn good THING

Just recently purchased the DE HondaGX50 kit. I'm still tweeking it, but one day last week the temp reached 47 degrees here in the northeast so decided to give the bike a try. I have the 1.75 roller installed and reached a speed of 29 mph, but didn't want to over stress the engine the first time out. I've read the different speeds suggested but don't think I will know for certain until the engine is broken in. I have the Maxis 2.5 hookworm filled to 65 psi, as I read that was a pretty good pressure for the friction drive systems. I've already replaced the throttle with an old scram twist shifter with the indexing spring removed and works like a charm, cost was 4 bucks. I know some you have crunched numbers but does anyone have the actural riding experience for the numbers?

DChrist,

With the 1.75" I think you will hit pretty close to 40 when its broken in with the DE kit. I use the same tires as you, they really make a difference and the "manual" not the centrifical clutch DE Encore Model on the bike in the photo.

With the hills you have in PA if your not looking for speed I bet with the 1.25 or 1.5" ones you won't have to pedal at all and get 20-25 mph when its broken in. Thats assuming the Honda 50 has a simular RPM rating as the 43 cc mitsu I have.

Pumpbuilder
I'm not sure what the rpm rating is on the Honda but I'm hoping for a top end close to 40 but would be satisfied with 35. I've cut out rollers from oak from 1.5 to 2.0 and plan on trying different ones to see which one is best for my purposes. The terrain is not to bad where I live, not many hills so I looking for speed over climbing ability. Am I correct that you're riding a bent....if so that might be getting you a couple more MPH than my mountain bike. DE suggests like you that the 35 to 40 is doable...What size roller do you run on yours? I'm curious as to what is a reasonable break in period? Thanks for your thougths.

Well I am ashamed to admit I do not know if your engine is two stroke or not. Two strokes break in on the first tank of fuel. A four stroke I figure about five hours.

When its engine only, no pedaling like the first poster said its all about RPM and grip of the roller on the tire, my bent is less effected by winds so I will go faster then a MB into the wind but I have been passed by MB's with tailwinds.... it all balances out.

With the Mitsu 2 stroke I expect I have a higher RPM then a 4 stroke but TBH I don't know how they will compare. I have always found Rob and Kristen at DE to be very straight forward as to what performance I would get.

Did you get the automatic or the manual?

I use a 1.5" mostly, that way I can roam around at lower RPM at 20-25 but goose it up into the 30's on busy roads to run with the auto's.

The Honda engine I have is the GX50 4 cycle....I went to the Staton Inc. website and checked the stats and its rated at 2.10 hp at 7000 rpms. All the reading I've done about engines in gerneral terms of course, say that the 2 cycles are gernerally a better choice for long distance commuting and can run all day wide open which isn't recommended for 4 cycles. I went with the Honda because the gas mileage was supposed to be substantially better (over 200 mpg with a 200lb rider) than the 2 cycles (maybe 140 mpg). What little riding I have done (15 degrees takes the fun out of riding) felt like I could cruise all day at 25mph with the 1.75. I can't engage the system under 11 mph due to bogging down. If you're useing a 1.5 roller I should be able to get well into the 30's with the 1.75...
I have the DE manual system....figued I didn't need the clutch since I had the disengagement feature. When the weather warms and I get out do some riding I'll post my experiences.
I put in a picture or two...made a couple of changes to the mounting of the DE system...

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 314
  • Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 270
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 282
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg