Friedlbug here - hi

Thanks Alan. I know about the registration and insurance. I plan to comply. I don't want to go over 50cc because I don't want the yearly inspection. Now the clutch thing - we'll see. If the "transmission" doesn't have multiple speeds but has a manual clutch, it's not automatic?

Automatic means no manual clutch.(centrifugal clutch needed) Some kits have them.

Let me know how you make out registering and insuring it. Didn't know you could make one of these legal here. What about the title for registering ? I hope you can. Even if you don't use it for commuting, it's still fun to sneak around. Legal or not. Have fun.

I'm finding that it may not be possible to register without a VIN, and wikipedia says that the fine is $160 for no registration - effectively meaning that assited bikes are not legal in PA. Hope that's not the case - still looking.

I've changed my focus to Currie e-zip or possibley izip for an ebike. It's still not legal, but hopefully less risky.

I love this state, but not the laws. This, state liquor stores, restricted Sunday beer distribution, no Sunday car sales, no Sunday hunting, the list goes on and on.

Don't let the laws get you down. I owned a Currie system since '01. Never got pulled over . It's the gas that gets their attention. I own a gas, and just ordered another. My way of staying out of trouble is keeping to the secondary roads, and crossing every busy intersection with my legs doin' the fake pedal dance. A few weeks ago, I had to do a quick engine cut and pedal right passed a police van. They never even noticed me.
If you weren't commuting, you could easily own one and get away with it. Going 15 miles every day might attract attention though.
Yes, some of our laws suck. At least beer distributors are now open on Sunday. And they finally are allowed to accept VISA/MC.

Another thought. If the bike were registerable, and you failed to register it, that would be a fine, agreed. But if it can't be, despite your effort, doesn't that put it in the same category as a golf cart, or powerchair ?
Another thought. If wheelchairs are legal, can I put a 70cc on one ? Maybe we need to trick out a few.

As I understand it, unregistered motor vehicles need a specific exemption, i.e. power wheelchairs, to even be permitted on the road. That's why motor scooters are either motorcycles here or not permitted.

are you frstrated with the site or just noticing all the venting?
Here's my city ordinance in Texas http://www.motoredbikes.com/showpost.php?p=99263&postcount=6

I always wear my helmet and drive reponsibily. The gas station I buy my beer at is across the street from the Municipal complex City hall/FD/PD. They all point and laugh when I ride off with a 12 pack on my bike rack.
I wish you the best of luck. Is there something else you needed help with?

Don't let the changing of the guard here at this site doesn't chase you away. Lots of good people here that are willing to help. Oh and BTW welcome.

Jim

Back