Friedlbug here - hi

friedlbug

Local time
1:14 PM
Hi. First off, this site is great. Thanks for making this a great resource. I'm here because I want something to commute with in the summer in Pittsburgh. Unless it's not possible, it would be nice to stay within these parameters to keep the cost of registration down on a third vehicle and avoid inspection:
MOPED
DEFINITION: A motor-driven cycle equipped with operable pedals, a motor rated no more than 1.5 brake
horsepower, a cylinder capacity not exceeding 50 cubic centimeters, an automatic transmission,
and a maximum design speed of no more than 25 miles per hour, or an electric motor-driven
cycle equipped with operable pedals and powered by an electric battery.
CRITERIA: 1. Engine may not exceed 50 cubic centimeters.
2. Engine may not exceed 1.5 brake horsepower rating.
3. Operable pedals required.
4. Automatic transmission required.
5. Design speed may not be more than 25 miles per hour.
6. Does not require inspection.
What might make it impossible is my weight and the hills. I run about 260 and my commute is 15 miles each way over moderate grades (and that's modifying my route to avoid steep grades - it's Pittsburgh). The under 50cc part is more important than the horsepower part since they won't be able to check horsepower on the road. The 25 MPH isn't enforced too strictly, either, I think. I'd probably be bothered more, though, if I'm outrageously loud. I've been looking at Golden Eagle kits so far on cheap bikes and have checked out Spookytooth's bikes. I'm also tempted to try a homebrewed friction attempt to save money, but some practical part of me suggests I'd be sorry (the same part isn't so sure of commuting on an assisted bike in the first place). Anyway, here I am.

Welcome Friedlbug. Any motorizing option can be made to work well and attractively. Check out the gallery section of this forum for ideas. You'll find belt, chain, and friction drives done well, in any combination of rack, frame, front or rear mount you can imagine. Let your ingenuity loose :D

Welcome, fellow Pennsylvanian !

In PA, all mopeds must be automatic trans (no manual clutch) and they must be registered and insured. That hasn't stopped me though. Just pedal whenever you see a cop. And keep your finger near the engine kill switch. I only ride the back roads, and so far no problems. On a legal moped, it would cost around 65. per year total for insurance and reg., but the coolness factor plummets drastically.
Sorry, don't want to rain on your parade, but thought i'd give you a friendly "heads up."
Transportation or not, these kits are cool. Get one anyway. :D

Thanks Alan. I know about the registration and insurance. I plan to comply. I don't want to go over 50cc because I don't want the yearly inspection. Now the clutch thing - we'll see. If the "transmission" doesn't have multiple speeds but has a manual clutch, it's not automatic?

Back