Front brake needed

beetleman

Local time
9:03 AM
I have a coaster brake and also added a rear bike brake, but even with both, stopping is a challenge. I have a springer fork in the front that does not let me install a regular bike brake. So I was wondering if there's a hub type brake that can fit. I do have a speedo sprocket so that's another challenge- fitting a hub brake without interfering with that sprocket. The frame and front wheel are standard Walmart Huffy cruiser, but with the ebay sourced springer fork. Does anyone have experience with this? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1790.jpg
    IMG_1790.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_1791.jpg
    IMG_1791.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_1792.jpg
    IMG_1792.jpg
    332.9 KB · Views: 126
A drum brake wheel will fit almost anything. Plenty of them on EBay.
-i bought a used one from a guy that was parting out an industrial trike.

That springer usually comes with rockers that fit a disc-brake caliper. Yours looks like it doesn't, so a drum is going to be your best bet. Gotta say, I had a fork like that and had a hell of a time keeping the wheel straight in it.

If you are on a tight budget, bicycledesigner.com sells a universal caliper front brake kit that will fit Springer forks. You could keep the speedo if you used that.

A drum brake wheel will fit almost anything. Plenty of them on EBay.
-i bought a used one from a guy that was parting out an industrial trike.
I'm looking for the rear wheels from an industrial trike prefer ably a Worksman .20 - 24 inch to make a trailer . If he still has them . Axle bearings and all. Tom

If you are on a tight budget, bicycledesigner.com sells a universal caliper front brake kit that will fit Springer forks. You could keep the speedo if you used that.

Are you referring to this?

I see it mounted on the other type of springer, mine is the straight one with the two springs on top

Are you referring to this?

I see it mounted on the other type of springer, mine is the straight one with the two springs on top
I would forget that one anyway.. A brake is better than no brake, sure; but a long reach single pivot caliper is the weakest brake type ever conceived. Check out the disc brake conversions that others have done on here.

Lose the damn speedo if you have to: unlike a powerful front brake it could never save your life!

Back