Front Coaster Brake Mad Scientist Crazy (wear a helmet)

we had considered pop-riveting a short length of chain from the sprocket to an arm, but it was still a matter of travel...we couldn't get a lever to pull that much cable...

i still think this is a doable budget upgrade & i hope someone comes up with a home-built solution :cool:

Spent the day before Christmas digging out parts for the test bicycle, but didn't get so far as to begin assembly. I'm convinced that this is doable too Augidog, - it's just a question of making sure the solution remains lightweight and elegant and I don't end up with a hundred pounds of cables, levers and servo assisted this and that all over my front forks.

Ok, - I've just spent the morning cold resetting a pair of late 1940s Rudge forks; - and before anybody has a heart attack they came from the most misused and damaged English bicycle I've ever seen in my life. And yes it was rubbish tip find.
These are very strong forks and since they were badly misaligned to start with I felt I could set and align them to accept a Sturmey Archer coaster brake hub with a clear conscience. The Rudge frame itself is a wreck so I'm using a frame from a local make of bicycle. As it happens all the English bits fit onto this particular 'Healing' frame perfectly. I did have one bad moment when I peeled back the old dealer sicker and discovered a label underneath that said the frame was made in Taiwan and not here in NZ. I normally hate 'world bikes', but I couldn't find an earlier replacement NZ built frame anywhere in my stash, so I've decided I shall peel off that sticker too and I shall tell a small white lie and say it's a Kiwi made frame should anybody ask.:cool::rolleyes:
I've decided to proceed without cutting corners and I'll assemble this bicycle properly the same as I would as if it was one of my 'good' bikes. I guess there's nuffing wrong with having a reliable sound 'mule' bike or 'Frankenbike' for experimental research purposes which means my original classics will be able to sleep soundly at night and not have to worry about being messed about with or being subjected to strange mechanical experiments.

Thoughts are forming in my head about how best to get the coaster brake to work without trying to pull around 4 inches of cable with a hand lever. Some folk like crosswords, I like interesting mechanical problems. I shall keep you posted.......

Back