Brakes Front Disc Brakes on OCC Stingray

1968gtcs

Local time
1:52 AM
Just added some front disc brakes to my stingray chopper for extra stopping power. I've put about 200+miles on them without a problem and really enjoy the extra stopping power. Since its never been done before with the stock fork and wheel, just thought you guys would like to see it.

MBC EDIT: THIS THREAD HAS BEEN MOVED

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 5,874
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, its a huge difference.....braking is a lot smoother almost as if its a motorcycle. I'm going to add rear disc brakes next weekend.

nice job on the tank...could you do a thread on how you made it fuel-ready ?
ie: did you use the cap/bung and petcock from kit tank...etc

I want your disc brake conversion specs. Did you get a different hub or did you get an adapter and how did you mount the caliper on the fork?

I cut both the fuel neck and petcock out of the cheap little tank that came with the kit and welded them onto my tank. Sowed up the bottom, blasted it, pressure tested it and slicked it down. I have another i'm doing, i'll try and take pics of it along the way.

I want your disc brake conversion specs. Did you get a different hub or did you get an adapter and how did you mount the caliper on the fork?

Caliper is mounted on the fork via standard ISO disk mounting tab(can buy for around $7-8 or make your own with 1/4'' plate!!). No one makes a 24 inch disk wheel, so you have to make it, or go with a 26 inch disk wheel and look like a goonie. You can get cheap 32 or 36 spoke disk hubs, but i found a special BMX hub (Halo) with 48 spoke so I could use the original rim plus i love the look of 48 spokes(don't scrimp on the hub.....cheap hubs like the hubs that come orginally with these bikes are trash and cheapo bearings go bad, get a nice hub). I really wanted to spoke it radial like orginal wheel, but since its disk, its a very bad idea. I went with 3 cross pattern and it seems to flow nicely with the back wheel. I masked off the rim before i respoked it and poked holes in the tape to theard my spokes through so i can paint the spokes black like the orginal ones(or you can go expensive way and get black spokes). Use DT swiss spokes only, all others are trash! Account for 1mm of rim shrinkage when you calculate spoke length for your particular hub if you use the stock wheel.

I have an extra wheel I spoked up if anyone wants to buy it with high end Halo hub. Looks just like mine, spokes aren't painted yet. Or I can spoke yours up for you with the hub you buy for a good price.

Last edited:
Back