Front end fail

Loose Nut

Local time
8:09 AM
Keeping myself humble, sharing my mistakes. I tried to make a leaf spring front a while back. I used bicycle forks, and a leaf spring from a old Ford. It seemed pretty solid and rode very nicely. One day, I was moving from the street to the sidewalk, and the there was a gap on the side of the sidewalk. The front tire dropped into that gap. I'm not real sure what happened after that. I went over the handle bars and tumbled down the sidewalk. But I was ok, yea! Then the bike landed on me. I carried the damn thing home with a broken hand and some good cuts and bruises. Near as I can tell, the front wheel bent just enough to jam it in the forks, then tumbling. I ordered a springer type front end, and a new wheel, and had the bike back on the road in a few weeks. Don't be like me kids. Overbuild everything. 0903021914a.jpg0903021913.jpg0903021914a.jpg0903021913.jpg

No, a regular steel wheel with a Puch moped hub. One of the things I now do, is double check spoke tightness after riding the wheel for a few days.

So....you got down in the slot like a slot car...but were trying to get on the sidewalk at anther angle....it folded then?

This doesn't seem to have anything to do with the forks at all. Seems to me it was entirely the wheel's weakness.

Something like that. On a bike when you are crossing a big crack, seam, railroad track ect, it's smart to cross it at a sharp angle: I didn't do that.

Back