Front Engine VeloSolex 3800

Solex mopeds are great fun. We had neighbors in the San Fernando Valley (CA) that had 2 black Solex bikes just like the ones in the video. The guy hated kids (they had none), but occasionally we begged enough that he would fire one up and let us go for a spin. I would buy one in a minute (but not for $1000!).

This bike if it is made as good as the original would be an OK deal. They are a little pricey and not the fastest thing made. I have had mine for 30 years or more. You could buy one I think and with proper care ride it for the rest of your life. Have fun, Dave
http://www.velocruz.com/store/solex_bikes.htm

I got mine running today. I could not leave it alone so I took the cylinder off and cleaned it up. Years ago I added a boost port, I did it with a large die grinder, looked poor, so I cleaned it up and enlarged it. I lowered the intake port and cut the skirt on the piston. Years ago I notched the top of the piston to raise the ports, you can see the mods in the pic's. I did the mod on the carb, they say you can drill them out, but if you do it will not close proper so I made the venturi oblong so as not to cut the thin sides. I moved the timing ahead slightly and increased the size of the exhaust hole to about 1/4" I also found the two small holes that feed the carb too small and increased them out to 1/4 also. I don't want to race this thing but I would like it to get up and go if need be. Ill put up a few pics of the barrel. I like the way it sounds now, it no longer just takes its time revving up, it actually sounds like a small motorcycle. Have fun, Dave

Attachments

• Solex porting.jpg
    Solex porting.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 432
  • Solex porting 2.jpg
    Solex porting 2.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 529
Back