Front or Rear mount - which is best?

L

Lin NB

So I now (finally) own a OneMotor friction drive (used to be called Shareroller). I really like it (you can read my review here: https://electricbikereview.com/foru...e-device-formerly-known-as-shareroller.28504/

I have the option of front or rear mounting, and I'm not sure if there are benefits to one which outweigh the other. I realize that taking off the rear tire is a bit more time
consuming so if there's added wear that might be a factor, but other than that, I can't decide which is better. One looks more "stealthy" but I don't care about that at
all. I'm just wondering in terms of performance, or system lifespan, or tire life, if one position is better than the other? Does it matter to the gearing if it's on the front or
rear (I haven't noticed that it does when riding, but I'm no engineer). Any input on how to decide would be appreciated.

always rear for traction and realized power.
Can you explain what you mean by "realized" power? Yes, I am sure you are right about the traction, especially going up hills, easy to have problems with a front motor. Thanks.

• rear traction equals less slippage and spinning of wheels so more realized power
• look up huffy quick change tubes; you dont have to remove wheel to change a flat. Always use a tire liner its cheap and prevents many flats
• this is a pedal assist actuated friction drive right? With that I think you will have good life on tire treads
• rear drive feels more sporty too
• there is optimal points for friction drive; where is mount points for this on front and back? I feel front will look awkward
• also there is a reason everyone does rear drive if given option... Just fookin put it on the rear

Agree with all the above, but their are two advantages to using a front hub motor:
-Easier to install
-The weight of the front motor hub makes the front wheel feel more stable at higher speeds. That helps if your steering feels twitchy at speeds around 20 mph.

Best can be a very opinionated word. What's best for me may be terrible to you. However it is good you're seeking the prospectives of both front and rear wheel friction riders. Hopefully you'll get advice from both types of friction riders.

Don't be fooled by this paid ad from the poster, he's posting all over for this slick willy device. The battery is a joke, minimum power and real distance claims are nowhere near what's claimed. 200 watts is a joke and the extended version battery only weighs 3lbs. Plus it costs an arm and a leg. It's a nice design but the battery is it's weakness. This kit is only good for 5 to 7 miles in real world riding. Be warned!

Back