Front Post ... Tweak?

FrizzleFried

Local time
7:25 PM
OK... so my front posts are obviously tweaked outward on my Phantom 85 slightly... about 1/16" at the end of the posts... they don't appear to be the posts themselves but rather the actual bore in to the engine that is slightly tweaked.

How to best rectify? Remove stud and tweak it slightly?

OK... so my front posts are obviously tweaked outward on my Phantom 85 slightly... about 1/16" at the end of the posts... they don't appear to be the posts themselves but rather the actual bore in to the engine that is slightly tweaked.

How to best rectify? Remove stud and tweak it slightly?
That sucks, they got bored out crooked at the factory. The best way to overcome that is to elongate the hole in the mounting plate so it fits over easier.

That sucks, they got bored out crooked at the factory. The best way to overcome that is to elongate the hole in the mounting plate so it fits over easier.

Can't happen. Not enough meat to make the hole wider...

See...

414lvqwZ4VL._AC_.jpg

Call me petty... but I've emailed bicycle-engines.com. I'd like to know what they'd like me to do "officially" so that if something "bad" happens... it's on them. Honestly... for a motor costing nearly twice that of the common China Girl... I'm tore as to "require" a replacement...

Call me petty... but I've emailed bicycle-engines.com. I'd like to know what they'd like me to do "officially" so that if something "bad" happens... it's on them. Honestly... for a motor costing nearly twice that of the common China Girl... I'm tore as to "require" a replacement...
They will email you back and ask you to show pictures of the miss-aligned front mounting studs so they can see that they were indeed bored out crooked, they also email a warranty form that asks you basic questions that are unrelated to the problem asking you how you built it, how many ft pds/inch pounds you torqued the head, (12 ft pds, which is 144 inch pounds), and that you are running the factory required 20:1 ratio gas/oil mix on the Phantom...Since your under a six month warranty, they will send you another bottom end to the motor usually within 2 to 3 days as the expedite delivery to you at their expense, they usually do not require you to return old unit.

All easy questions to answer since I've not installed the motor... or the head... or anything yet.

Now, I am a reasonable guy, if they give me the OK to go ahead and tweak the post(s) slightly, I'd likely to do that with the understanding that if something doesn't work out well they'd cover it.

It's not hard to black-Sharpee the inside of the post... remove... then tweak that direction 1/16"...

Look... i'd take me a new bottom end (you never know when you could use one ya know), but I'd feel bad doing it for something so ridiculously minor. That said, I do want them be aware of the issue and advise me as to what 'they' would like me to do about it. I've already made the suggestion I did above however. I suspect they may be OK with the attempt.

:)

I already sent a message via the usual channels... which she usually responds to. If I don't get a response from her tomorrow I'll use the email address above... thanks!

Back