Front wheel clicking noise. help needed.

BonitaPanther

Local time
1:11 PM
hi folks!
my front wheel has developed a loud intermittent clicking noise. Some times twice a rotation, other times up to 4 per rotation.
At first I thought it to be the speedo cable so I took that off and it still happens.... Any ideas on what it is and what to check next?
As far as I can tell the tire isnt binding on anything and is running pretty true...

Thanks

24" panther

Steve

Loose spokes will click sometimes. Don't tighten too much or too fast. Give the few loosest spokes a quarter turn and see if it helps.

spokes seem fine. the clicking seems to come out of the same place (although not sure where yet....) and at different times.
Just by having the wheel lifted and spinning it slowly it still clicks... :-(

Take the wheel off and remove the axle and bearings.
Clean the bearings ,cups and cones and see if there are is any metallic junk on the rag.
Look closely inside the hub and make sure there are no hairline cracks where the bearings spin. Youre bound to find something, and if you don't it's a good opportunity to clean and re-grease everything.
I don't specifically know about Whizzers but the front wheel can't be too complex inside.
Roll the axle on a flat surface and make sure it isn't bent also.
Keep digging, you'll find it..
Keep us posted
TIM

The same thing happened on my Whizzer this summer. In my case it was the speedometer's drive unit. The lubricant had hardened and the clicking noise was caused by the drive's teeth jumping out of the slots in the ring. See the attached pic if you're unsure about the pieces I'm trying to describe.
In my case, cleaning and re-lubing the drive pieces took care of the problem.

Attachments

• Whizzer speedo cable.jpg
    Whizzer speedo cable.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 335
The same thing happened on my Whizzer this summer. In my case it was the speedometer's drive unit. The lubricant had hardened and the clicking noise was caused by the drive's teeth jumping out of the slots in the ring. See the attached pic if you're unsure about the pieces I'm trying to describe.
In my case, cleaning and re-lubing the drive pieces took care of the problem.

hi Kilroy! That was my first thought I lubed the cable even detached it but still clicked... glad it worked on yours!!!!
When I get a moment or three i will have to take the wheel off to investigate further....

thanks everyone for the input!!!

What Kilroy was talking about is the drive unit the cable screws into. They are very cheaply made and keeping them clean and lubed is very important.
Good luck

Jim

Yes, that is what I thought and suspected from the start....I am half tempted to just bend it out of the way and spin the wheel to see if it stops ( read too lazy to remove tire at the moment).

Hi,
I have a Black 24" panther with a over head valve motor, mine did the same as yours,I took my front wheel off and the front axle was bent, both bearing dry and one had had a bad ball bearing.
I put it back together and order 2 new axles and 2 hubs with new bearing that were inside the hubs from Whizzer,thats the way they sold the bearings ,already pressed inside the new hub.

If someone knows the part number of these bearings, you can probably buy them at a auto parts store?

Mustangtom

Back