Frozen sprocket

Status
Not open for further replies.
thank you so much for all your help, as of right now I haven't gotten my replacement parts yet but I'm wondering if these engines are just like the old VWs... pair of pliers and some wire cable fixes about anyting LOL, I also ordered a new chain and chain tensioner, so I'll replace everything before I start this bad boy back up, really hoping I don't still have an engine problem but as I stated before now when I push the bike, there's compression. You know kind of like how it is without pressing the start button., thanks again. Keep you posted

Well the cover I'd of just left it go after a good cleaning and a bit of jbweld to seal against water, these things are so cheap it's not even worth trying to keep it pretty looking. That screw might be found on an old bicycle if you have one, the thread is the same as what's normally used on a crank arm for the pedals, it's the one holding the arm to the shaft (bottom bracket) with the gears on it. Those are just about always going to be a standard hex head bolt, so you can remove and install with a (usually) 14mm socket wrench, way better than a flat head screwdriver. Bevel gear is correct.

The metal shavings are unrelated to the clutch, often the chain rubs the metal under the cover, usually the section nearer the front of the motor, that creates shavings that get stuck in the grease inside the cover, it's kind of normal and impossible to avoid unless you go and shape it down with a dremel. I would give the entire chain, drive gear cover, and rear sprocket a good cleaning with a rag and solvent to get the metal off it, that stuff will get into the chain, and on the other meshing gears and act like sandpaper and rip up the gears and chain, wearing them down and 'stretching' the chain, which furthers the wear on the gears more.
okay so after 2 weeks of waiting for the clutch assembly parts to arrive, I was so excited I get to finally fix my bike. Well the gear puller was stripped so after searching endlessly to find the bevel gear puller... I finally just went ahead and screwed that screw back in that had caused the clutch case to crack and ultimately lead us here.
so I tightened all that goodness back up, put the clutch cover back on put the New chain tensioner on. since I don't have a chain link breaker that project is on hold , Okay so after getting the right tools I was able to take off the air filter clean it, put a new spark plug in because I was having starting problems, and I also replaced the Magneto, I was still having problems with the kill switch and starting so I disconnected it squirted a little bit of starter fluid in the carburetor and it started. It runs great but there's a little knocking sound inside the engine that I don't remember hearing before.
I doubt it has anything to do with the clutch but I'm going to go ahead and put the new Clutch & Clutch pads in today so any feedback on this would be great as far as what could be causing the little knocking sound in the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back