Frozen sprocket

Status
Not open for further replies.
His motor is seized, and when these things go, all of 'em go.

The motor only goes as far as it wants to, usually something like 1k is when you expect to see cylinder problems, it may have even been a ring that blew up. The problem is these things are just unpredictable and cheap, some die the same day you buy it and others (with good care and a bit of luck) last thousands of miles. Most will get to be problematic around the time yours did, if they were just built better then they would obviously last longer. Theis is why you can find 30 year old dirt bikes for sale in running condition, used well but running, they just put the f***ing time into making them right. Even those will cost more than double used than what it costs to build a motorized bike new, it's just a figure of quality, quality lasts, and good maintenance keeps it lasting longer.

Unfortunately this is the stick beating a very dead horse and turd polishing olympics type of issue, where no matter how hard you try the China girl always breaking your heart, she just doesn't want to live! (or not very rong- I mean long) the Chinese also have illegal supplies of ground tiger penis and stuff like that which apparently makes things work better or last longer, if you find some and mix it into the gasoline it may improve the mpm (milage per motor.)

His motor is seized, and when these things go, all of 'em go.

The motor only goes as far as it wants to, usually something like 1k is when you expect to see cylinder problems, it may have even been a ring that blew up. The problem is these things are just unpredictable and cheap, some die the same day you buy it and others (with good care and a bit of luck) last thousands of miles. Most will get to be problematic around the time yours did, if they were just built better then they would obviously last longer. Theis is why you can find 30 year old dirt bikes for sale in running condition, used well but running, they just put the f***ing time into making them right. Even those will cost more than double used than what it costs to build a motorized bike new, it's just a figure of quality, quality lasts, and good maintenance keeps it lasting longer.

Unfortunately this is the stick beating a very dead horse and turd polishing olympics type of issue, where no matter how hard you try the China girl always breaking your heart, she just doesn't want to live! (or not very rong- I mean long) the Chinese also have illegal supplies of ground tiger penis and stuff like that which apparently makes things work better or last longer, if you find some and mix it into the gasoline it may improve the mpm (milage per motor.)
Oh my God you are so correct LOL but I really hope that the engine isn't seized and it's just a simple sprocket Crank to engine issue....

Oh my God you are so correct LOL but I really hope that the engine isn't seized and it's just a simple sprocket Crank to engine issue....
Well get crackin, just looking at the outside typing on the internet isn't going to it any good, hope you've been soaking it in pb blaster this whole time you were waiting to 'loosen it up' so you can play it off like you knew whats you was doing.

Been parked weekend.. Probably mess with it tomorrow... Thanks for all the advice, suggestions and comments... I'll keep you posted

So as I stated before, it appeared something was hindering the engine to move. Well I popped off that cover on the other side of the engine and the screw in that small sprocket fell out, so what I'm thinking is if I just replace that screw that should fix the problem.
I will need a new cover plate cuz as you can see where that screw came off it damaged it the inside....
what is the proper term for this, drive train sprocket? correct?

Attachments

• 15329676159927717916802329531690.jpg
    15329676159927717916802329531690.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 168
nope

just from the pic I can see that your small bevel gear is both crooked on the shaft and no longer round (look at about the 11 o'clock position on that gear)

you might be able to take gear off and replace if the shaft it is on isn't damaged - you will also have to clean teeth on large gear since there is probably something hard stuck in those teeth too

That would explain the metal shavings on the chain clutch cable side.
I ordered a new clutch cover and a clutch kit assembly with puller... Probably be here Thursday - friday.. Thanks

What explains the metal shavings?
They are metal shavings on the clutch chain side.. Inside the cover.. Not magneto cover... The screw that was in I guess the bevel gear... I'm not familiar with the proper terms of a engine . No electrical problems , Anyways.. That screw was missing thread and thats what tried to break through clutch gear plate guess its called in pic above right side.
I ordered the clutch assembly kit and a new cover should be Thursday Friday ish.

They are metal shavings on the clutch chain side.. Inside the cover.. Not magneto cover... The screw that was in I guess the bevel gear... I'm not familiar with the proper terms of a engine . No electrical problems , Anyways.. That screw was missing thread and thats what tried to break through clutch gear plate guess its called in pic above right side.
I ordered the clutch assembly kit and a new cover should be Thursday Friday ish.
Well the cover I'd of just left it go after a good cleaning and a bit of jbweld to seal against water, these things are so cheap it's not even worth trying to keep it pretty looking. That screw might be found on an old bicycle if you have one, the thread is the same as what's normally used on a crank arm for the pedals, it's the one holding the arm to the shaft (bottom bracket) with the gears on it. Those are just about always going to be a standard hex head bolt, so you can remove and install with a (usually) 14mm socket wrench, way better than a flat head screwdriver. Bevel gear is correct.

The metal shavings are unrelated to the clutch, often the chain rubs the metal under the cover, usually the section nearer the front of the motor, that creates shavings that get stuck in the grease inside the cover, it's kind of normal and impossible to avoid unless you go and shape it down with a dremel. I would give the entire chain, drive gear cover, and rear sprocket a good cleaning with a rag and solvent to get the metal off it, that stuff will get into the chain, and on the other meshing gears and act like sandpaper and rip up the gears and chain, wearing them down and 'stretching' the chain, which furthers the wear on the gears more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back