Frustrated in Texas

Madd Matt

Local time
7:20 PM
I am likely just repeating a gripe that most riders have already experienced but I am going to vent anyways!!
I have been building and riding since approximately mid-2006 and thus far I have had no problems with the law here in Wichita Falls Texas. In fact the local authorities have responded to my bike with big grins and thumbs up and on two occasions I was waved down with questions about building and cost and difficulty. My gripe is absolutely not with the local guys but rather with DPS (Dept. Public Safety) and Highway Patrol.
I went to DPS to renew my commercial license and thought I might ask what the laws were about these bikes. Where better to ask than "from the horses mouth"? What a clusterf__k !! I had two admin types and three patrolmen get involved in the attempt to answer what the requirements to ride legally, really were!
I then spent about an hour going thru the definitions and licensing requirements for motorcycles, mopeds, "electric neighborhood vehicles" (?? don't ask), light motorcycles, offroad vehicles and bicycles.
I am still lost because my reading of the laws is they contradict each other depending on which section they are in??!!
How are we to obey the law and meet the requirements when the authorities cannot agree?
I have reach the opinion that if you use some common sense and ride courteously, the local cops (at least here in Wichita Falls) will smile, wave and go on about their business. If anyone from Texas can add anything of substance to this question, Please do!!
Still Riding in North Texas,
Madd Matt

"I have reached the opinion that if you use some common sense and ride courteously, the local cops (at least here in Wichita Falls) will smile, wave and go on about their business."
That has been my experience as well. There are some college campuses where the police are not so reasonable, but they are the exception.

I am likely just repeating a gripe that most riders have already experienced but I am going to vent anyways!!
I have been building and riding since approximately mid-2006 and thus far I have had no problems with the law here in Wichita Falls Texas. In fact the local authorities have responded to my bike with big grins and thumbs up and on two occasions I was waved down with questions about building and cost and difficulty. My gripe is absolutely not with the local guys but rather with DPS (Dept. Public Safety) and Highway Patrol.
I went to DPS to renew my commercial license and thought I might ask what the laws were about these bikes. Where better to ask than "from the horses mouth"? What a clusterf__k !! I had two admin types and three patrolmen get involved in the attempt to answer what the requirements to ride legally, really were!
I then spent about an hour going thru the definitions and licensing requirements for motorcycles, mopeds, "electric neighborhood vehicles" (?? don't ask), light motorcycles, offroad vehicles and bicycles.
I am still lost because my reading of the laws is they contradict each other depending on which section they are in??!!
How are we to obey the law and meet the requirements when the authorities cannot agree?
I have reach the opinion that if you use some common sense and ride courteously, the local cops (at least here in Wichita Falls) will smile, wave and go on about their business. If anyone from Texas can add anything of substance to this question, Please do!!
Madd Matt
Hi Matt my name is Jimmy and I also have been riding for a number of years but I just recently bought a bicycle with an 80 cc motor and was riding on the side of the high way when local pd passed they did not even give a second look a min or two later dps was behind me lights a flashing said it was unlawful to operate motorized bicycles on public roadway without ins. Etc.I still have not went to court but do plan on fighting this ticket I will keep you informed of the out come until enjoy biking and be safe have a great day from East Texas!!!
xas

Madd Matt

I haven't had to yet but as far as getting a ticket would go just for riding one. It's entirely up to a judge as to whether or not you broke the law because of the contradictions as to what motorized bicycles are classified as.

General rule of thumb is to follow federal and local laws as best as you can and argue that you've tried to follow the laws that are there, as vague as they are.

And if you ever do get a ticket just take it to court and be prepared to explain your case along with the impossibilities of not being able to obtain registration/inspection/insurance as the state and insurance companies wont give those out because motorized bicycles do not meet their requirements as to what a motor-vehicle is.

Be legal and just use a honda 35cc and be happy. Hell most of tx is flat anyways in the cities.

Back