Fuel Bowl Overflow:

Hal the Elder

Local time
4:56 AM
Hey...Happy New Year from Me & Oscar!

Sometimes when I start Oscar, fuel will start flowing from the fuel bowl overflow tube, and a light rap with a hammer will stop it.

Does this mean that the float valve is not stopping the flow from the tank every time?

What's the spec on the float valve adjustment?

Thanks,
HAL

If tapping the bowl helps it sounds like the float is a little sticky. Clean the carburetor and make sure the float can pivot up and down smoothly without any catches.

Hi Hal & Oscar,

The float setting is 22 MM.

Also check & clean the float needle & seat.

I found Gummout carburetor & fuel injection cleaner does wonders on these carburetors. I normally mix much heavier than suggested on the bottle. I normally pour several oz. into a full tank of gas.

Have fun,

I have heard that another thing to help keep the float from sticking is to mix an ounce or so of Marvel Mystery Oil in with your gas.

I have done exactly that, but the paint chips will still cause you fits! I did not fix my leaking problem until I added the inline filter.

First tank leaked; overtight on curved upper bar. New tank had sediment. Engine bogging, overflow gushing. Spark plug cleaned and gapped. Then removed carb, found metallic sediment in bowl, cleaned, added inline filter and presto. Smooth again. Hopefully no cylinder scoring...
Any way to prevent the float from bouncing too much on bumpy roads? Suspect it's causing the studdering on theses older streets here in Sacto

Back