Fuel,Fire,Compression,And you think it would run

pull your plug and see if its wet, you may be flooded. Cleaning up your plugs is never a bad idea.

BSA

try,

http://www.startya*******.com/

The limitations on the forum won't allow a certain part of the word within the URL to appear.
but's called: startyab*st*rd.com
where there is a * symbol, replace with the letter a
Or, I was able to capture a promotional picture with the full name of the product, "startya*******" in the background, just incase.

Attachments

• tn_startyabastard.jpg
    tn_startyabastard.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 165
Did you get it to run? Check the plug right away after trying to get it to start. If it's really wet then it's flooding. Check the intake for leaks. Pull the bowl off the carb and check the float. You can use a piece of fuel line. Blow thru the fuel line and lift the float to see if it shuts off the flow. While it's off push a thin wire thru the jet to make sure it's clear. GL

won't start...

i've just completed a new slant head build which ran perfectly for about 20 miles. the next day it just wouldn't start up. it sputtered like it wanted to start but wouldn't go. verified it was getting fuel. verified spark. disconnected kill switch. still nothing. as a long shot, plugged and unplugged the CDI a few times. fired right back up again. just a bad connection that wasn't obvious to the eye. thank God these things are very low tech!

Another thing that we would do to start a wet engine... Heat a new plug with a propane torch. 20 seconds, place in head a couple of turns. connect high tension lead. See if it starts. :snobby: Or not.

What is the easiest way to drain a wet/ flooded crankcase? I've hear quite a few people mention it but no specific instructions.

sounds like you have a bad coil. I have seen coils that will spark when the plug is out of the cylinder but will not spark under compression. Also have seen coils work well until they heat up and then they quit.

Try a new coil and see if it fixes your problem.

It's not the spark plug but the spark voltage, f the plug does not fire in open air with TWICE the gap (0.040 +) it's not likely to fire under compression at cranking speed.At speed the engine can keep running because the spark voltage is higher but once you shut it off,it won't start up again.I think a lot of CD units fail due to moisture penetration,which causes the HT transformer to gradually fail.The connection to the plug wire is the weak point.(RTV !! )Mount it with all leads pointing down& to the rear and seal with RTV.Once moisture gets in it will never ever get out again.The reason coils fail is that water has a very high dielectric constant (81).this means that the electrical field is concentrated in the smaller gaps between winding layers.The insulation starts to break down progressively& conductive paths become established (tracking) reducing the spark output.

If the magneto magnet was put on backwards, it will not run!

See the attached graphic. IT shows the orientation of the magnet at TDC.

Jim

Attachments

• engine8.jpg
    engine8.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 185
Back