Fuel flow mod

Street Ryderz

Local time
8:40 AM
The weather over the past two days has been amazing 30 c plus temps and just like a mid summers day!So I took out my race bike since I had put in this current engine it hadn't really been dialed in partly because we didnt have the temps yet and partly due to I knew this engine was going to require more fuel,more exhaust header dia and possible clutch issues again.And I have yet to address the exhaust and figured I would see how the clutch holds out since it has been really modded allready!So fuel I ran it with a #82 jet and started to dial in the bottom end and the pilot jet is a bit rich but was able to add air with the adjustment screw.Then the transition from pilot to the needle was really lean creating a bog and loss of power so the needle was raised one then two notches all the way at the bottom now and it's better but not perfect.NOW here's where it get's interesting!The transition from needle to main jet first of all I am doing around 45-50 at this point and it's lean again and literaly flat spots and sounds dry! I try it again same thing so I added some fuel with the enrichment valve and it starts to pull again for a second or two and flat spots again at that point I was a block from the shop so I shut it off and coasted in and went right to the carb and wouldnt you know it the bowl still hadn't refilled fully yet and that seemed odd to me so I took my tank off drained it took the petcock out checked it and it was clean and now I am thinking about how much fuel is actualy flowing thru the petcock?So with my tank half full still off the bike I timed how long it took to put out 2 oz's and it was pathetic!So this is what I did removed the fuel from tank again then removed the petcock and took it apart to find that on the end that threads into the tank with the filter the hole inside there was tiny maybe 2mm so I drilled it out to around 4.5mm then there is the track on the back of the lever witch I also opened up maybe 10-15 percent and now it flows the 2oz's in just over half the time it actualy now has a REAL stream not just a fast trickle LOL.I tried the bike again and now that it's fuel supply was keeping up with demand it was much better but still lean in the top and this time when I added fuel with the enrichment valve and was doing a solid 50 the engine came to life! It hit hard and spun the clutch for a second and really wanted to go but I backed off because I dont want another broken clutch so I will rejet again and try to make the transiton there a little smother or have to roll on the throttle in that range!

Attachments

• 2017-05-18 18.37.38.jpg
    2017-05-18 18.37.38.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 239
  • 2017-05-18 18.36.52.jpg
    2017-05-18 18.36.52.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 235
You can bet I'd be coming over trying to learn all your hot rod secrets.
I am pretty open about what I do with these engines and don't mind helping anyone out if I can!I used to hate it and still do when people dont share info to try and keep an edge over the next guy!I would prefer to have the next guy know and have just as good or even a better setup so that it's realy a race!And you would be welcome to!

Back