Break In Fuel gas mixture for break in

D

davidsis

does 7oz of oil to one gallon of gas sound about right for break in period. also, is there anything special about the break in period?

Hi, My instructions said to run it at 20 to 1 for the first 50 miles I think. Also to take it easy and not run it hard at first. I remember that was very hard for me because I wanted to take off and blast down the street. Actually it worked out well because going slower gave me the time to get used to the bike and learn how it rides and get used to stops and starts and all that kind of thing. I'm an old guy 55 years old and had not been on a bike on a regular basis for quite some time. As I got used to it and it broke in I gradually went faster and faster until nowI ride like a madman most of the time and want a 36 tooth sprocket so it will go faster.Well good luck and be sure not to use outboard two stroke oil. Use regular two stroke oil like for a weed wacker and break it in slow and steady. Save the hotroding for later .......Tom in WV

try1897 said:
As I got used to it and it broke in I gradually went faster and faster until nowI ride like a madman most of the time and want a 36 tooth sprocket so it will go faster .......Tom in WV
kids will be kids :D

hey, since i have those low-profile tires, i have the perfect excuse to get the 36'er :devilish:

Hey Dog, Here in WV they would say DAWG. Anyhow if you still got the tires in a couple of weeks I'll try um on my bike. For 40 bucks I can't go too wrong. I might have to bend the frame to allow clearance but the overall will be worth it. I think. Tom in WV

hiya, davidsis...i see many ideas here about what a break-in should be like for onna these things, as a 1st-time owner, i'm far from expert at this.

i DO know that the 20:1 mix is very important during break-in & i'm gonna keep using it 'til i feel the power-increase that indicates a decent break-in. i do NOT know how long that'll actually be, however.

if you love your baby, you'll do the math and accurately measure that pre-mix so's you know it's right.
example: i use a set of measuring cups/spoons...
the gas-cup is 1cup/250ml
one oil-spoon is 1/2tbsp/7.5ml & the other 1tsp/5ml.
one of each gives me 250:12.5 = 20:1

Tom in WV: i've posted the tires under "buy/sell/trade"...let's take that convo over there, 'k?

Break in

My little manual that came with the engine says to break it in for the first 500 miles. This sounds like a crazy high amount of miles. Mybe it is a misprint, and is supposed to be 50 miles. I think it is supposed to say 50 I have been putting in 7oz per gallon. for the break in what should is change to after break in about 5oz?

after break-in you want 40 2000ml:50ml or 64oz:1.6oz or 1gal:1bottle*

*briggs & stratton easy-mix 2-cycle oil 3.2oz <--for the math-challenged, like me :?

personally, i believe nogoodnic42. i'm on tank #2 starting today (70 miles) & i've switched to 40:1.

i also did 35mph+ for 6 miles on the way home :devilish:

Hi all, I've been using 4oz. to 1 gal regular gas. well it comes in 8 oz bottles so I mix 2 gal at a time and that comes to 32 to 1 I think. Now that I think of it I may go to 40 to one as Augi says. It should run a little better and not oil the exaust quite so much. I don't think it will have any problems and should be allright a little leaner. I ran it at 20 to one for about maybe a tankfull of gas and its a half gallon tank so 100 miles I don't really know exactly. but then I leaned it to 25 to one and then 30 to one on the next two tankfuls . That was about it . It gained power as the gas was leaned out and now runs strong as pit bull. Smurfer helped me get my gaskets right and now I'm happy as a pig in s**t. I ride every day but its getting colder. soon it will be too cold and snow and all but I plan to head south and west for the better part of the winter. chow .... Tom in WV

Correct mixture help.

i am in a bit of a confusion now. can i ask what is the right mixture for the first 50 miles (break in) and that after the break in for a 48cc?? and does the type of syntetic 2 stroke oil changest the ratio of the mixture?

Last edited by a moderator:
the new consensus seems to be:

20:1 dino oil for break-in (until you feel the rings seat)

25:1 dino or synthetic blend after (for engines with bushings)

my opinion...32:1 is prolly ok with roller-bearings, i'll be trying it as soon as i get the roller-bearing engine back on my bike.

Back