fuel injection? will it work on 2 stroke?

H

Herrmanator8

ok, i have another question for all of you members of MBc. does fuel injection work on a 2 stroker? such as what they use in a car. ive read into it and am gettin to know the system, but still dont know enough

jon

Heh heh...I LIKE the way you think!....sounds like a good idea for better power and economy (through better fuel atomization and precision timing of the fuel delivery) but I think the mechanicals behind it would be complicated....For what it's worth, Kohler has a mower engine that is fuel injected (4 stroke tho) and many people in the lawn mowing profession love it...I mow professionally also but haven't seen this engine in real life yet to see how complicated it is.

Andrew

OOPs....Yes I believe a company called "orbital" or something like that was in the
prototype stage ( at least) of making a lean burning lightweight 2 stroke engine for possible automotive use....I think they may have been talking with Ford at the time...I think I read it in an older issue of Popular science.
Andrew

Fuel injection certainly works on 2 strokes, however a DIY implementation on a tiny motor might be difficult. You'd need a computer box, fuel pump, pressure regulator, injector(s), throttle position sensor, air temp sensor, lines and wiring.

A Megasquirt board might be a cheap ECU to use. http://www.megasquirt.info/

I think that two different injectors would be needed, one for fuel and one for oil. The fuel injected two strokes the I've seen all have pressurized oil lubrication systems and overhead valves. They are run every bit as clean as 4 strokes but they're costly to build.

Not worth the cost or effort in our engines. A better carb would be better than the smallest fuel injection system due to its simplicity and no worry of electrical breakdown on long rides.

I have fuel injection on my 1972 Mercedes V-8. The system is not as complex as computers of the day were approximately the same size as a car. The triggers for the injectors are four sets of points which fire two injectors ea. which are run off of two cam lobes on the distributor shaft. A low tech version of this system is within the realm of possibility for the home tinkerer.

Honda had a proto-type stroker w/injection about 10 years ago.
Fuel was injected through a very small hole in the cylinder wall just after the exhaust port got covered by the piston on its way up.
Never made it to production. Ran very clean as I recall.
Two strokes are not dead, we may see them powering street bikes yet. Catayltic converters can clean up the little pollution that current small strokers put out and fuel injection offers very good fuel metering for just about any type of load or weather condition.

Back