Fuel Leaking from Carburetor

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you stop it leaking while the engine is running though? Mine is not leaking as bad as it was since I siliconed the carb to mani joint but it does still leak. I tried draining the bowl after my last trip but the bike was a pain in the arse to start again. I think I flooded it with the tickler. If I dont drain the fuel I can start the bike without even being on it with just a kick of the pedal (shift kit pedal start).

That sounds like your float is set too high. Bend the 2 arms that the float pushes against *slightly* down to lower the fuel level in the float bowl.
A little bit of bend is usually all it takes.

Might have to give that shot gearnut. Since the silicone job it isnt as bad as it was but that said Ive only done 40kms on it since. The weather here has been nothing but wind and rain for a fair while so I havent had much of a chance to take it on a decent ride. Cheers for the tip.

Well hey guys... I am having a similar problem as we speak. Got on the bike to ride to work, made it about half a block before the motor bogged down and cut off. Looked down and saw fuel steadily dripping out of the air filter box. Got off, cursed and pushed it back to the house to take the car in to work.

Just got home and took the carby off... It appears the float has taken in gas, its about 3/4 of the way full! I assume its suposed to be compeletly empty. Seems like the seams slowly let gas seep in. Sucky. ive been squeezing it, trying to drain it all out. Thinking if I can get it all out, clean it throughly... I should be able to wipe a thin layer of expoy around the seam.... Are you speaking from experience Bryan?

I've been squeezing it, trying to drain it all out. Thinking if I can get it all out, clean it throughly... I should be able to wipe a thin layer of expoy around the seam.... Are you speaking from experience Bryan?

No experience with that one yet... (knocking on wood). I've just read of those around the forums who've had it happen to them.

From personal experience:
I'd spray the float first with a little brake cleaner to remove the oily fuel and scuff it a bit to give the epoxy something to grab on to. If my memory is correct, Epoxy holds things together with a mechanical bond not a chemical one. Still, you should probably order a new float to have on hand in case the repair fails.

If it just has one hole, you might risk welding the plastic back together with a soldering iron and some similar plastic if filler is needed. I did this once on a plastic trash can using a plastic peanut butter lid cut in strips for "welding rod". It takes a steady hand to pull it off.:whistle:

At Lowes in the fastener drawers is a plastic bushing that may be able to replace the float. Have not tried it but the sure look a lot a like. I carry a cork wine bottle cap trimed down for unexpected sinking floats. Would like to know if the bushing works.

Nice.. Ill have go by Lowes and check it out. I was also considering a wine cork... why not? For temporary use it should be fine? My carb uses a float that looks like a doughnut. So Id have to drill out the center of the cork. Should be pretty easy though!`

I ended up mixing some jb weld and slathering it on all the way around where the two halves meet. Will sand it down and put it back together in the AM...

leaky carb

First, Graucho---thanks for the pictures--that's the best job of demystifying the carb float I have seen.

In addition to messing with the float and all as you try and address a leak, start with the obvious and tighten all of those tiny screws that hold the bowl on and make sure the drain screw has a gasket and is tight---that fixed mine.

My name is terry i just got my first occ chopper bike done ran great for 3 or 4 days now gas is leaking from the gas tank it looks like it's comming from the mounting studs and gas is leaking from the air intake on the carb can someone help me

Oh and my throttle cable don't feel like its working right any idea's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back