Fuel line for Dax kit

If you are close to an auto parts store you could ride down there (pedal!? AARG HA)
and get everything you need with one stop....fuel line (make sure it is fuel line not just rubber hose), filters, clamps etc...probably the smallest automotive line would work.

Andrew

likearock111,

Either of those filters will be fine. I use the red one on my bike with no problems.

The vinyl fuel line is ok but it will eventually get stiff and brittle with exposure to sun and fuel. It will probably last at least a year though. I like the latex surgical tubing the best for short runs like we use on these bikes. It stays nice and flexible and, if properly sized, stays put without the use of clamps.

I would advise against using zip ties as fuel line clamps. The area where the tail goes through the ratchet does not apply pressure to the fuel line and can therefore actually cause leaks where none would have existed without a clamp. You're better off with a full circle type clamp. The type that you squeeze with pliers are good. The lawn and garden (lawn power tool) section of the hardware store or home improvement store usually has them. Worm drive type hose clamps are no good either for the very small fuel lines.

Good luck and have fun!

If you are close to an auto parts store you could ride down there (pedal!? AARG HA)
and get everything you need with one stop....fuel line (make sure it is fuel line not just rubber hose), filters, clamps etc...probably the smallest automotive line would work.

Andrew

Yeah - that's what I thought, too, but AutoZone didn't seem to have much selection at all as far as two-stroke oils or air filters. Maybe a trip to Napa is in order. Thank you!

Good job on posting in an existing thread, it's much appreciated. You sound like me in the sense that these filters seem too cheap to be any good (I think) but you're just trying to keep any little trash out and the paper filter should do a fine job. I have a 2cycle Lawnboy Lawn mower so I used the Lawnboy 2cycle ashless all season with preserative and broke my bike in on that. I worked that lawnmower hard in hot dusty rough Texas summers so I trust that oil. I think the rule of thumb is no synthetic untill it's broken in, but I'd look into that to be 100% sure since I'm not.
Good luck.

I use the 5/16ths neoprene clear line (the same used in racing carts). I have used zip ties but you have to tighten them to the point where the soft line gives in all the way around the fitting. Works great but why not buy a 1/2" hose clamp. Well now that I think about it, the hose clamp has the same flat spot on it as does the zip tie. Maybe because you can get more pressure from a worm gear than a zip tie.
I got 5 gas inline filters for 7.00 on Ebay and you will probably want a lawn line shut off valve, also cheap on e-bay.
If any of this helps, GREAT.
Doc

Today I asked the AutoZone people for fuel line, and they came out with this really beefy, thick black stuff, so I'm thinking I'll go for that. Also, they had some clamps specially made for the fuel line, so I bought some. Many thanks for all of the helpful responses!

Can't wait go get STARTED!

Likearock

I spent a fair amount of time looking for the right sized fuel hose after the one that came with my bike hardened and started to leak. And what I found was that the inside diameter is indeed 3/16". I went to Walmart, Home Depot Kragen, Ace Hardware and probably a few other stores. The best advice that I found in this thread was where someone said to take either the fuel tank or the carburetor to an auto parts store and see what is the best fit. Not wanting to take my gas tank or carburetor off I just unscrewed the gas supply nipple (for lack of a better term) and took that with me. I measured it and found it to be 3/16" as I said above. One thing to be careful of is that the reinforced fuel hose (black usually) has thick walls and may be difficult to install on the nipple when the nipple is attached to the carburetor. Anyway, I did find what I needed at Kragen Auto. Ace had a sample piece on a price/spec board but didn't have any in stock. And they didn't have the right size in the non-reinforced hose. I installed my new hose when I got home and it was nice and snug with no leaks. Finally!
-Raulin

Last edited:
Back