Fuel line too long?

Matt Barrack

Local time
8:13 PM
I'm building my first bike and I may have a problem. The way my bike is shaped, there is not enough room for the fuel line to stretch out all the way. I cut it but I don't want to do it so short it will start kinking. Does it need to be straight or is it ok if it loops?I
1496129982420-728611410.jpg

Attachments

• 20170530_033643.jpg
    20170530_033643.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 455
I think your length and loops are fine. however, the loop is dangerously close to the engine head for the picture angle. as you know, the engine gets extremely hot and can melt the tube leading to a dangerous situation with the gas. I think you should use zip ties and secure the tube away from the engine head and closer to the carb area. Zip ties are like 20 for $1 and you might have some left over from tidying the electrical wires.

also, the filter might be upside down so the large cap should be facing the carb portion of the tube line but maybe this really doesnt matter. there is a small magnet in the filter and maybe for it to work properly it needs to be cap bottom and straight but it might not be a big deal.

It looks like your carburetor could be more level, like there's no downward angle built into the intake manifold. The lack of distance between the carb and fuel tank makes it difficult to fit the tube and filter, so it gets me thinking.

I have recently purchased an offset intake for my generic non-Grubee engine and it has a similar lack of any downward angle to level the carburetor.
Have you read about the extended intake as part of the low/mid rpm torque boosting mods advised by @jaguar? What do you think of it? I think he was recommending 6" added to the short offset intake (better check that) so if you were to use a somewhat flexible tube to do the extension that could be flexed to also provide some downward tilt at the same time?! Just a thought. :)
I'll be using the long offset intake on my generic non-Grubee engine, and then a piece of the original intake to fit in the carb to join to some tubing in the middle, that I have yet to get (piles of stuff still to get!).
These are just thoughts. :)

If you can't shorten without kinking put the short end on the petcock and the long end to the carb. then the loop will be toward the carb rather than the head, and the filter will be running in the proper direction.

I'm tga
I think your length and loops are fine. however, the loop is dangerously close to the engine head for the picture angle. as you know, the engine gets extremely hot and can melt the tube leading to a dangerous situation with the gas. I think you should use zip ties and secure the tube away from the engine head and closer to the carb area. Zip ties are like 20 for $1 and you might have some left over from tidying the electrical wires.

also, the filter might be upside down so the large cap should be facing the carb portion of the tube line but maybe this really doesnt matter. there is a small magnet in the filter and maybe for it to work properly it needs to be cap bottom and straight but it might not be a big deal.
Ok thanks

If you can't shorten without kinking put the short end on the petcock and the long end to the carb. then the loop will be toward the carb rather than the head, and the filter will be running in the proper direction.[/QUOTEb
If you can't shorten without kinking put the short end on the petcock and the long end to the carb. then the loop will be toward the carb rather than the head, and the filter will be running in the proper direction.
This better :)

Attachments

• 20170530_121722.jpg
    20170530_121722.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 424
I don't like the clear gas line.
I just use enough to connect the filter almost directly to the carb, and run automotive gas line to the tank.

2_FitoDoneR-1280.jpg

That black gas line don't kink.

Back