Fuel Mileage

E

Egor

My wife came to me today and asked me what the mileage of one of my Motored bikes would be? We payed 3.74.09 for gas today, I wonder if that had any influence on the reason she asked the mileage. I told her that "I think I could get about 150 Mi. to the gallon if I tried", OH she exclaimed, and left it at that. Now if she asks me to start one up for her to go to work, I will get a picture to post up here. I don't think she has any business on a motor bike, for that matter nether should I, but that is another thing. If enough of the cars were off the road I think I would let her, but not with the (NUT'S) in my town. I wonder how many of you are using your bikes for every day to ride to work? I took mine to work in the back of my truck and then rode it home to leave the truck there. The traffic for me is the biggest hang up. Well have fun, Dave

I just read a report on msn.com that a HIGH SCHOOL team won a mileage competition sponsored by Shell. They got 2800+ MPG with their "car"! Wow! Can you say "engineering scholarships for everybody"?

Not even a clue in the article, or any related discussion (that I could find), about how they accomplished it.

Last edited by a moderator:
recumbant (to reduce cross sectional area,) highly streamlined, low speeds (10-12 mph, to reduce drag, as it is related to square of velocity,) tiny engine, light rider, probably 3 narrow tires at high pressure to reduce rolling resistance. Probably geared so that engine idles along at the 10-12 mph range.

Well, if anyone happens across any documentation of the design, I'd like to see a link. Who knows, there may be something I could use there.

Here's a picture I found:

Mater_Dei_540x358.jpg

The vehicle on the left was the winner. I found this picture at:
http://www.news.com/8301-11128_3-9918198-54.html?tag=newsmap

Back