Fuel not flowing down line

Status
Not open for further replies.

likemike24

Local time
10:44 PM
Hello everyone,
My name's Michael and I finally finished building my bike after having it somewhat put together for the past three months. There's only one problem though, the bike won't start. I've been investigating and the cdi reads correctly with the multimeter, the magneto loop is fine, and the spark plug sparks so I don't believe it's an ignition problem. Carb seems fine and the throttle cable pulls as well so I don't think it's that either. Further investigation brought me to believe that I have some sort of vacuum in my fuel line that doesn't allow for fuel to flow once the line is connected to the carb. When the line is only connected to the tank and I drain the tank it flows fine, but as soon as I connect the other end to the carb and turn the fuel on, it won't flow correctly. I've tried turned the fuel line on with it all connected and taking the gas cap off, but it still won't flow. It's driving me nuts. Any help is appreciated and if anyone lives in San Antonio and is willing to take a look at it that'd be phenomenal as well. Thank you all

Sounds like a stuck float. Do you have the nt carb? If so, push the tickler on the side of the carb a few times and see if fuel flows. Sometimes that's all it takes.

one almost never sees fuel flow in the line - take out drain screw from carb bowl, turn on fuel and see if it runs out

if fuel runs out and spark plug stays dry, then it is air leak between carb and intake, or clogged main jet (note: if carb is assembled wrong, then clog may be that needle has fallen all the way down)

Taking the drain screw out of a bowl won't tell you anything if the float is stuck closed.

Taking the drain screw out of a bowl won't tell you anything if the float is stuck closed.
If you take the screw out and the valve is stuck then you'll get a tablespoon of gas and nothing else (unless it has been stuck for a while and is dry,) a steady stream indicates it's fine (or at least that the valve isn't stuck shut.)

Last edited:
One way to check if the engine will run with the presence of fuel is to put an eyedropper full of gas-oil in the spark plug hole and see if it fires up for a few seconds. If it does, you'll need to turn off your fuel tap and start from the fuel tank, downwards to the carb in your troubleshooting.

Fuel tap>fuel line> filter>carb fuel line barb> float needle>float bowl>main jet.

Sounds like a stuck float. Do you have the nt carb? If so, push the tickler on the side of the carb a few times and see if fuel flows. Sometimes that's all it takes.
I don't think I have an nt carb, I bought the flying horse kit. But a stuck float does seem like a possibility. I would just have to figure out how to access it on this carb.

You may not have to. Turn on the fuel tap and give the carb a couple whacks with a wrench. Hit it on the bottom of the bowl. That might be enough to unstick it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back