Fuel shut off acting funky....

M

motoschwinn

My original fuel on off is acting weird, I can't tell if it's really on or off, the direction of the pin doesn't seem to be correct. Anyone had this problem before?

I've chnaged mine to brass.
The thread part is tapered so when you screw into petrol tank it tightens.
Put some thread tape or some fuel resistant sealer. And get a inline throw-away fuel filter, got mine from go-cart shop.

Attachments

• tn_BRASS FUEL TAP.jpg
    tn_BRASS FUEL TAP.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 211
To make it easy just keep the tank valve open and put on an inline filter and inline fuel shut off valve, 1/4 valve fits the stock line but is tight.

Drain your tank and remove the petcock. Check the screen.
I bet you got something foreign there.

I've chnaged mine to brass.
The thread part is tapered so when you screw into petrol tank it tightens.
Put some thread tape or some fuel resistant sealer. And get a inline throw-away fuel filter, got mine from go-cart shop.

I've been looking everywhere for some tape that wont be eaten by the fuel, can you tell me the name of the stuff you got and where i could grab some ?

I just used that teflon thread tape plumbers use.( Wind it on the brass thread anti-clockwise)
It ain't entirely fuel resistant, but had no problems and I think it's mainly due to the tapered thread on the brass making it seal.
I also smeared the thread tape with Stag Jointing Paste or use similar hard setting gasket paste after I wound it on the brass thread.
Just make sure it's not prone to fuel.
Cos the tank is questionable HT quality, I play it safe on THEIR threads. Don't over tighten, or you might end up cracking the tank's thread part cos of the taper.

Let it set and dry completely then add fuel to the tank.

I just used that teflon thread tape plumbers use.( Wind it on the brass thread anti-clockwise)
Yea, it's yellow teflon designed for natural gas, not gasoline... but it works better than the white.

And Bolts... shouldn't it be wrapped around the thread clockwise?? This is the direction I've always rolled my teflon tape.

sparky, it depends which way ya holding the tap !
Wind the tape left if the thread is right or wind the tape right if the thread is left.

Back