Engine Trouble Fuel spewing out of air intake, engine has high idle, and can't go above 15mph without bogging down for a few seconds

michaelkanrs

Local time
3:50 AM
Hello. I am having trouble with my engine after transferring it onto a new frame. I had to install an offset intake and take off the large air intake since there was a clearance issue with the frame. Now my bike won't idle consistently, fuel is being spat out of the air intake side, and the bike constantly boggs down when the engine reves above a certain rpm. I've attached a video of the fuel issue: https://photos.app.goo.gl/PLkb1n8E98hQJiaw7

Jet could just be blocked open, got some dirt or a piece of fuel hose lodged in there. Time to inspect and clean the float and needle. The float could have a hole in it and sank.

I have a super, super small hole in my float, the size of a grain of sand. Just that hole made my carb do exactly what yours is doing michaelkanrs. The float needs to be in perfect condition to work properly. Carefully inspect everything in your carb.

Yea, don"t use a Yeti blow torch 🔥 on your carb. You might get a Yeti hole in your float :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Did it run right before the offset intake? Looks like your float is not functioning or the jet fell out.

It was fine before the offset. I could be because the new position is more tilted forward.

Jet could just be blocked open, got some dirt or a piece of fuel hose lodged in there. Time to inspect and clean the float and needle. The float could have a hole in it and sank.

I have a super, super small hole in my float, the size of a grain of sand. Just that hole made my carb do exactly what yours is doing michaelkanrs. The float needs to be in perfect condition to work properly. Carefully inspect everything in your carb.

I took apart the carb, wiped everything down with isopropyl alcohol, and put it back together. Nothing seems blocked. I can go above 15mph now but the idle is still strange.

You have to look at the float needle very closely, one tiny bit stuck to the needle will give you grief. Was there any fuel in the float? You may have to remove the engine now and dump some fuel out of your crankcase. Where is the clip on the main needle?

You have to look at the float needle very closely, one tiny bit stuck to the needle will give you grief. Was there any fuel in the float? You may have to remove the engine now and dump some fuel out of your crankcase. Where is the clip on the main needle?

Looked closely at it again and nothing seems to be clogged. There was fuel in the float when I unscrewed the screw at the bottom to drain it out. The clip was at [||||]=====> before and I moved it up to [||||]=====>. There was some power loss but the spark plug looks better now.

You'll need to get a new float, as long as there is fuel getting in to the float the level in the bowl cannot be maintained.

Looked closely at it again and nothing seems to be clogged. There was fuel in the float when I unscrewed the screw at the bottom to drain it out. The clip was at [||||]=====> before and I moved it up to [||||]=====>. There was some power loss but the spark plug looks better now.

Like I said with my float, there was a tiny hole in it. The float filled with fuel and the carb spewed out gasoline out my air filter. So should I also possibly need to dump fuel out my crankcase too? Is there a way to check without removing engine? How do I actually remove the gas from my crankcase? Do I need to detach it from the engine or something?

How is the bike running now?

Like I said with my float, there was a tiny hole in it. The float filled with fuel and the carb spewed out gasoline out my air filter. So should I also possibly need to dump fuel out my crankcase too? Is there a way to check without removing engine? How do I actually remove the gas from my crankcase? Do I need to detach it from the engine or something?

Back