Engine Trouble Fuel spewing out of air intake, engine has high idle, and can't go above 15mph without bogging down for a few seconds

I'm trying to get the throttle on my new carb. My friend put the throttle on last time. Somehow he put the throttle cable through the slot of the rectangular piece it goes into straight through instead of bent like a j. It was the only way for the "nipple" of the throttle cable to clear the spring or else it will get in the way of the spring from flattening all the way, thus not letting the choke go back up when pulling down the throttle. But I'm trying that and the cable won't stay in if I don't bend it up onto the top of the slot. And there it gets in the way of the spring. How did you guys do it?

Last edited:
The spring has to be fed onto the cable and then collapsed flat and then the nipple slipped into the slide. Put the needle and clip in first.

Thanks, I got it running. I put the cable through the rectangular piece, backed it up the slot. Then took the edge of the bottom of the spring, put it behind the nipple, and pushed the spring into position.

Last edited:
The spring has to be free to do it's job, if it binds, it can keep your bike at WOT. But hopefully you have a good working kill switch.

You'll need to get a new float, as long as there is fuel getting in to the float the level in the bowl cannot be maintained.
I redid the float according to Akutey's image and it seems to run smoothly to 30mph now. However, the bike seems to take a much longer time to start than previously. Any ideas?

Now that the float level is right, not so much fuel is getting in. Give some choke for few seconds when starting it now. Where is the clip on the needle?

Now that the float level is right, not so much fuel is getting in. Give some choke for few seconds when starting it now. Where is the clip on the needle?
Float is still angled but the fuel is getting in no problem. I leave my choke half on when I start since it won't start at all when its fully on. Needle is still at [||||]=====>.

Back