fuel tank question

motor_head

Local time
4:42 AM
I'm making a weed eater frame mount bike and i had to remove the original tank to mount it
so now i need to mount a new tank and was wondering how far up the carb will pull fuel. i know they have little fuel pumps in them but i don't know if it's strong enough to pull fuel up a foot or so

Actually I don't think it makes any difference. Gravity works... Gravity to the pump...the pump to the intake. Figure out where you want to mount the tank, run a lenght of hose to carb, have help starting.... see if it runs.

if you are mounting the tank below the carb, the little fuel pump will probably not have enough suction to suck the gas into the carb. all the "fuel pump" is on those is a small rubber diaphragm inside a block on the carb. this is why they all have primer buttons because the tanks are not mounted on them in a way to where gravity can help feed the carb with fuel. notice that the fuel tank is mounted kind of at the same level as the carb. and not very far away from the carb. if you pump the primer bulb a few times, it floods the carb enough to get the motor started, and then once it's running, the engine creates a small amount of vacuum in the carb. which makes the rubber diaphragm move up & down. there are holes in the "fuel pump" block where the diaphragm is located and when the rubber opens and closes over the holes, it creates a bit of suction to help suck the fuel into the carb.
your best bet is to mount the tank higher than the carb so gravity will feed fuel to the "fuel pump". then, the "fuel pump" will only have to worry about getting the fuel into the carb. in this situation, rather than it trying to suck fuel up hill from a tank that is mounted below the carb.

Back