Fuel tank repair

Stoneman

Local time
11:52 PM
Wondering what’s the best way people have repaired a stock fuel tank when it begins to leak around the threads

How is the tank welded at the mounting threads

Cheap steel plus cheap all-thread plus cheap welds.

Not hard to understand why it leaks when you tension them and go crazy with a 66cc vibrator.

I wonder how all the motorcycles with engines a hundred times bigger manage to stop their even larger and heavier tanks from leaking for decades..

Yeah I understand the reason for it braking

Was just wondering before I tore into it if it brazed or soldered

I've posted a method for replacing a leaking tank stud here somewhere, but it is a lot of work

I have seen a lot of attempts at this. I have yet to see one that has lasted. This seems to be a fair preventive method. Tabs with locking nuts above and below the tab. I have recently changed to a locking nut and washer above and below the tab with black fuel line sitting on a washer above the top nut for a spacer rather than using the larger nuts as spacers so their is no metal to metal at the tank.View media item 61242

I have seen a lot of attempts at this. I have yet to see one that has lasted. This seems to be a fair preventive method. Tabs with locking nuts above and below the tab. I have recently changed to a locking nut and washer above and below the tab with black fuel line sitting on a washer above the top nut for a spacer rather than using the larger nuts as spacers so their is no metal to metal at the tank.View media item 61242
Does this mean welding tabs to the frame? Seems like a cool idea.

Does this mean welding tabs to the frame? Seems like a cool idea.
Either welding tabs, or if your kit comes with the heavier set of mounting straps you can fasten them to the top tube and mount the tank in this manor. It's a good way to eliminate the constant pull on the studs from the tank. I think still if you got that friday tank with s**t welds the vibration and jarring will make them go south anyway.

Back