Full suspension gas tank frame design concept.

I have been working on drawing a concept of what I would like to make reality in a perfect bike frame.
I went through around 30 different designs before i settled on this one. When drawing i set my goals to make the perfect sleek looking functional and buildable frame that had all the features missing in my last build. Features that are hard to come by in a motorized bicycle frame.
I wanted a gas tank built into a frame with rear suspension. It needed to be able to support a 7 speed rear derailleur, disc brakes, and a 3.5" or less wheel.
I also wanted the layback seat post built in and a built in bearing for the shift kit.
This is what I came up with.

I only quickly painted it to show how cool it could look.

I put this out in the world hoping that you can offer feedback. Hoping that no one will steal it and make millions while I still sit broke.

I don't think I've said this yet but the whole reason Im thinking about this is because someone has offered to buy my current problematic bike build for $2000. I don't know if i'm gonna do it, If i do then i will build a full suspension bike of my dreams, however I'm still in love with this build. as it stands i have invested a little over $1800 into it. That includes the parts that broke and needed to be replaced and the performance parts I blew with nos and had to replace. I could rebuild this same build for $900 or less. As discovered last year by the helpful people of this forum, I need new gears which I will buy this spring for $35 then I will have the bike of my previous dreams. I will then add a stator, headlights tail lights turn signals and a motorcycle speedometer. So this fantasy drawing "design concept" may not even be made.

Here is the previous "design concept"

and here is the result of that design.

Attachments

• IMAG1366.jpg
    IMAG1366.jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 285
I don't think I've said this yet but the whole reason Im thinking about this is because someone has offered to buy my current problematic bike build for $2000. I don't know if i'm gonna do it, If i do then i will build a full suspension bike of my dreams, however I'm still in love with this build. as it stands i have invested a little over $1800 into it. That includes the parts that broke and needed to be replaced and the performance parts I blew with nos and had to replace. I could rebuild this same build for $900 or less. As discovered last year by the helpful people of this forum, I need new gears which I will buy this spring for $35 then I will have the bike of my previous dreams. I will then add a stator, headlights tail lights turn signals and a motorcycle speedometer. So this fantasy drawing "design concept" may not even be made.

Here is the previous "design concept" View attachment 86138

and here is the result of that design.
I cant post the other picture it just says Oops! we ran into some problems. I really want this to work!

Okay I got it to upload but why is one a picture and the other is a link? I wanted for you guys to see the comparison I went out and specifically took a perspective shot just for this.

I've been wanting to do a hardtail steel tank frame with 2 bottom brackets, front one for the pedals and rear one for the jackshaft. Now I want a full suspension bike :unsure:. Gonna see how you work this out for ideas.

I've been wanting to do a hardtail steel tank frame with 2 bottom brackets, front one for the pedals and rear one for the jackshaft. Now I want a full suspension bike :unsure:. Gonna see how you work this out for ideas.
"Y" chain arrangement? Very nice for racing! Power runs through only four sprockets and two chains, can be paired with IGH or CVT hub. No requirement for a freewheel crank if your pedal chain has a freewheel on the JS at the centre of the Y. :D

@MotorBicycleRacing shared a photo of a very nice one that raced at one of his events not long before you raced. His photo links are all broken though and it's a great loss. Perhaps he will be kind enough to find and repost it for us if he is able to.:) I believe it was the green (olive drab?) vintage look cruiser with stretched front frame for a big 4-stroke. Y chain arrangement, no freewheel crank. :coffee::geek:

I don't feel that rear suspension is needed, really. These bikes are light and suspension compromises rigidity and adds weight. Can also lead to some interesting moments in bumpy cornering. Most bicyclists use their legs to soak up bumps, anyway. A good saddle and effective riding technique is all the suspension needed on the street, IMHO.

My favorite rear suspension, the Brooks B190:

Been running one for a couple years, comfy and a buttery ride.

$2000 for a bike with problems are you nuts. Get the money in hand first lol. Full suspension is expensive in money for materials, tools, and time. It’s a whole nother set of its own problems. At the very least you should see what’s been done before you. Have you tried running a seat shock with an existing tank frame? With the right setup it can be very effective.
i cant tell how that spring is attached to the seat in that pic. is it offset? The only bike seat suspension ive seen is this kind

Im all for a comfortable ride but i wont compromise the looks I would rather my bike look cool than be comfortable. so the laid back post is the way for me.

I don't feel that rear suspension is needed, really. These bikes are light and suspension compromises rigidity and adds weight. Can also lead to some interesting moments in bumpy cornering. Most bicyclists use their legs to soak up bumps, anyway. A good saddle and effective riding technique is all the suspension needed on the street, IMHO.

My favorite rear suspension, the Brooks B190:

Been running one for a couple years, comfy and a buttery ride.
My current build will be getting a custom seat in the near future with this level of comfort its just not worth it now for me to buy a better seat for a bike that barely runs. If i don't sell this I will be making it on my own.

Nothing wrong with making your own, I've seen some really nice custom suspension saddle setups.

I've been doodling up frames for years with pencil and on CAD. My problem is I'm not a welder :LOL:

sorry this post and its replies convinced me not to do it. I built a motorcycle instead.

Attachments

• d886fa8b95150995099d0db57f4f2f43.jpg
    d886fa8b95150995099d0db57f4f2f43.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 233
Back