FurryOnTheInside's first build: The Night Fur(r)y

_20170928_192245.JPG

Like the name? :cool: Night Furry hehehe! pronounced "Night Fury", after the dragon species from the movie How To Train Your Dragon. It's characteristics are lightning speed, deadly stealth, awesome firepower, and an appetite for fresh fish! :D
Toothless-how-to-train-your-dragon-2-wallpaper-1920x10801.jpg

Anyway I actually wanted to start a build thread after the first engine start so it's a running bike first.. but never mind. :oops:

I mainly built this single speed Night Furry (motorised Specialized Sirrus 2012) because I thought this will be a faster way to get a running bike before summer ends. Far too late for that now but never mind. :oops:
I wanted to have two motorised bikes anyway. I'll always be riding solo if I don't build two bikes, haha. :rolleyes:

The Sirrus has been a touring bicycle work in progress for a while. I was fitting it with a more aerodynamic cargo system, trying to improve on the typical square shaped panniers and bar bag, to help with the headwinds I face on the coast. I wanted to have room for the things I need during the ride, and a modular system so I can just carry some of the bags when I only need certain items. I wanted plenty of room in the handlebar bag for my things. This is as far as I had got with that idea
2015-11-18 14.05.50.jpg

However I had stuck with the stem and bars that came with the bike, the straight fork, V brakes and the 32 spoke wheels.
I have been carrying more and more stuff on cycling trips. I wanted easier/better equipped camping, fishing and snorkeling but weight had become a problem already. Then the bulk became a problem, too.
Then I added a single wheel trailer for the bulk, and that increased the weight even more.
2015-11-14 09.36.13.jpg

All the water, food and stove fuel, clothing and personal comforts needed for the journey was growing exponentially as the weight slowed me. Trips to the nice places were taking too long and leaving me too saddle sore. :(
This bike needed an engine!

So this build is intended for long distance, up to 80 miles, but further than that when it has proved itself. :)
It needs to be pedallable if it isn't possible to fix on the road.

It has to carry shore fishing rods and rod rests along the top tube, which is why the rear rack is so high up.
I will try to carry all of my fishing equipment on the bike, so that I can camp in one place and make little trips out to the surrounding areas without always bringing the trailer with me. :)

So yeah that's basically what the bike is for and why it is this type of build on a so-called "hybrid" bicycle.

For the motorisation I have upgraded the wheels and the fork using the parts left over from the Dawes Galaxy Cross, and I have upgraded the brakes to hydraulics which I bought used on fleaBay.
I just got the front brake working without dragging on the caliper body (it wasn't meant to take a 220mm rotor!) by removing some material from the caliper body.
I also put better cranks/chainset on it, I have bigger chainrings again since I will be going faster.
Used different pedals too, because I want to keep the Shimano Saints for the D.G.C. mountain bike style build, but these are still awesome with their two sealed cartridge bearings per pedal and with replaceable steel pins.

I have tried to make it a stealthy bike by using the noise moderation techniques that are mentioned in the forum. I probably have some more work to do there.

I have been trying to build a reliable drivetrain too. I hope I have done a good job.

I have added a better head for cooling and reliability, and made a "head steady" to relieve the stress on the two lower engine mounts.
I have done some crank balancing work, done some port widening but no changes to port timing, retarded the ignition timing, improved the air filter and lengthened the intake.

I didn't want to use the rag joint sprocket mount but the top hat adapters are expensive to get shipped overseas. So I made my own double sprocket mount for standard mountain bike chainrings.
_20170810_155057.JPG
_20170810_155031.JPG
_20170810_155014.JPG

I got the single speed drivetrain set up without burning my bridges so I will test it like this, and then look into setting up the two speed system later.

I took the bike out once and couldn't get a spark. It has an upgraded spark plug wire, NGK boot and NGK iridium plug but I managed to break the thin wire coming out of the CDI. I'm 99% sure the problem is fixed now but I can't try out it due to a recent injury.

I had to fix a leak from around the fuel tank nipple when I found fuel actually dripping from it.

I have to fix some other faults I found during my first outing before I can get it out again anyway:

The plastic front fender keeps touching the tyre and dragging noisily (when will they invent lightweight plastic fenders that actually stay straight?)
_20170928_192346.JPG

The chain is never going to be quiet without a toothed tensioner pulley; but I needed to try out this "double" tensioner in readiness for my attempt at making a two speed shaftless shifter.

I should have got around to shortening the idle screw on the carburetor, it does catch on my trouser leg as predicted. I'll get to that soon.
The >29" wide handlebars are going to take some getting used to. I hope the width proves useful when I actually load the bike up with some heavy cargo for a camping & fishing expedition.
My inverted gripshifter was confusing me on my first ride. I'll have to relearn which way to twist. At least I was pleasantly surprised with the front and rear gears' function having never tried this particular combination of components before (except when I tested indoors on the trainer).
I have a better rear derailleur on the way: 9 speed Shimano SLX (shadow) so I'll have to change that sometime soon, although the Acera I have is working.
Oh, and it still needs the new updated handlebar bag and side panniers.. And some good bright headlamps preferably with a bit of a bluish tint!
images.jpg

Last edited:
You have done a ton of work on that rig! I am really curious how the two speed is going to work out for you. A friend of mine tried it with no luck - with continual chain pile-up. Please let us know when you get it going.

You have done a ton of work on that rig! I am really curious how the two speed is going to work out for you. A friend of mine tried it with no luck - with continual chain pile-up. Please let us know when you get it going.
Thanks, I got a huge amount of help from the forum though.. and yes it was a bit of a mission. My rotary tool motor wore out yesterday! :D

Hopefully I won't have to alter the derailleurs and shifter so I can sell them again if the 2 speed doesn't work out. I need the chain to survive (it's expensive and I will want to keep using it even if i go back to single speed). The rest of the bits are already in the single speed setup anyway. I will of course post a thread when I start to get the 2 speed system set up. :)

Lots of work, now you just need to make it go ;-}
Aww, I knowwww! :( I had just fixed the problem with the electrics and I'm certain it is a working bike now but I'm off bikes for at least a week to let a wound heal so it's going to annoy the hell out of me. :confused: I'm going to have to drain the tank and carb again tonight. :rolleyes:

So can we talk about the idea you have evangelised of changing the wiring from the thin stuff that comes with the kit to 16g high quality speaker wire? I made a thread so it's easier for others to find the information in future. :)
https://motoredbikes.com/threads/replacing-the-stock-thin-wire-with-16g.50974/

Last edited:
I went into town and picked up these plastic bowls for a few £ to use as materials for making some kind of front fairing.
I think I would like to make it quite large so that would mean it should be attached to the frame, rather than the handlebar.
I have flexible plastic glue and I have hot melt glue and I have some staples etc.
I already ordered some triangle bags to fit into the frame (easier than sewing from scratch, and they are so cheap from chineseBay) so I already have room to carry most of the things I need access to during a ride.
I think as it'll be quite far out front I will try to make it work for carrying my "hunting" cushion that I use for sitting on sharp rocks when I'm fishing on the rocky west coast. That's nice and light so it won't upset the bike's handling.

Hmm, what shape to make my fairing? Something fairly aerodynamic obviously... I'll just see how it goes.
I know what I would really like. ;)

_20171009_165313.JPG

Last edited:
With 66cc power a wind faring is just going to slow you down.
I don't follow your thinking.
Perhaps I didn't explain well.
I have a cushion. I need it for my arse.
I have to carry my cushion somewhere and keep it dry. Heavy things need to be between the axles. Lightweight bulk can be carried on the front and rear outside the axles.
So why not squash the cushion into a dome shape, and use that as a front fairing rather than take up room in one of the rear side panniers?
Many other types of bikes use fairings. Motorcycles, bicycles and gravity bikes. They even use them just for the sake of the reduced drag. I don't.
I don't like to add anything just for the sake of an aerodynamic aid and certainly not for decoration.
I have cargo to carry and keep dry when I go on shore fishing expeditions.
The cargo might as well be carried in a reasonably aerodynamic shape.
With luck it will actually increase the speed and efficiency (comparatively to carrying the same cargo in awkward square panniers).
I don't mind at all if it looks a bit like a dragon's head at the same time. :)

Last edited:
I say go for it Furry. - - As for me, I started working on a front fender cut from a cheap stainless steel bowl, but it turned out to be too flimsy. So now I've started on one from a piece of flat stainless sheet, using my cheap English Wheel to shape it. Sadly though, to get enough curvature to match the wheel diameter, I'm going to need a metal shrinker, so I'm waiting for one to go on sale.

Back