Futher notes about Huffy Cranbrick

Sgt. Howard

Local time
6:54 PM
Yes, I know- these things have earned a lousey reputation- but I am beginning to suspect that what people have reported on and what I bought last year are two different levels of quality. In researching the "manic Mechanic" hub adaptor, I find that my rear hub falls in dimentional limitations for the CB-110 which is built for Worksman hubs. I also note that mine came with 12 gauge spokes as is, as opposed to 14 or 16 gauge that seem to be more common. This rig with rag attatchment for the cog hauled my 200 lb butt on a 12 mile round trip commute for most of last Summer and Fall, with the only mishaps being stuff comming loose (Poor PM on my part). My boy hopped a curb on this machine without any damage. I did re-pack the bearings as part of yearly maintainance and found NO appreciable wear in the bearings or races. The front fender tags are intact (there are TWO of them under the forks). The only concerns I now have involve a headlight that shows enough road for 30MPH in the dark (And still looks retro- OK, so I'm being silly, it's MY BIKE!!!) and a caliper brake set-up on the front so that stopping is not quite so ... challanging... Annie will notify the board should she become a widow because of this thing.
the Old Sgt.

hub adaptor on Cranbrick

... I forgot to ask- has anybody used the aforementioned adaptor? Does the standard nine-bolt Chinese sprocket fit the three boltlugs on this thing? I can see where one third of the bolts will work when the attatchment is to a solid metal base as opposed to the friction capture of the ragmount, I would prefer to not have to buy a second sprocket.
the Old Sgt.

Back