G-clips are no good

Easydrifter

Local time
8:15 AM
On my first engine the end of the G-clip broke off and destroyed the piston. After a little online investigation I learned that some guys were replacing them with Wiseco10mm circlips that are used on Yamaha 50cc engines. AuMechanic has an excellent YouTube video on the subject. I replaced mine on both of my YD-100s and would recommend them to anyone who may be worried about it.

Many are available on ebay

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211004-113131_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211004-113131_Chrome.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 103
The double tab rings suck. They bend to easy. The g clip is a little better. I use stainless circlips now. Can buy a whole bag of 50 for a few bucks. Just need the circlip pliers to use them. Those are like 15 bucks for a cheap full set of them.

The only thing is now if I want to remove my piston I will have to grind it down until I can get a pic under the circlip to pull it out. No problem though as the pistons are a throw away item (as is the rest of the engine really) Haha

Maybe as mentioned in the previous video the bevel on the end of the wrist pin would not force the snap ring deeper into the groove because they are not round. Anyway I could not find any that would fit into my wrist pin hole. If you found one the right size it would surely be better than them crappy G-clips.

Maybe as mentioned in the previous video the bevel on the end of the wrist pin would not force the snap ring deeper into the groove because they are not round. Anyway I could not find any that would fit into my wrist pin hole. If you found one the right size it would surely be better than them crappy G-clips.
You have to grind a notch in the piston to get them in and out. They fit tight. I believe im using a 10 or 11mm. I'm at work so idk for sure. Ik a 3/8 one will fit with a notch too. Used the 3/8s as a test. At work we only sell plain and I wanted stainless so I ordered online.

Snap rings work well and have much less chance of being pushed out and no chance of breaking an arm off like the c or g clips, I am just cheap and cutting a notch into the piston and the arms off the cir clip cost's me nothing but a few min of time and that along with knowing they won't fail gives me a piece of mind that is priceless.

Back