Garage sale build

Solo2go

Local time
8:10 PM
So, I'm terry, just joined the forum. I have always been interested in building a motorized bike and I finally have. I started with a beach cruiser that I bought on craigslist for 30$. Bike was in ok shape. Good paint job but bad bearings. ReplaceD all the bearings and did a few customizations to make it mine.

Now to the motor. I was at a garage sale and saw the motor kit in a cardboard box on the table. I asked the old lady how much and she said 50. All I had was 2 20$ bills and she ripped em out my hand. Took the kit home, installed it, test drove it, did ALOT of adjustments, and now she's all done!! Pics below. I just ordered an upgraded magneto and upgraded magneto. Cause the origional crapped itself almost immediately

20150721_143251.jpg20150804_231435.jpg20150721_143305.jpg20150721_143246.jpg

Attachments

• 20150804_231523.jpg
    20150804_231523.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Another cool fact about the bike, the brown tool bag up front holds a 24oz beer perfectly

Nice build, Terry. What are you doing for brakes? I hope you're not betting your life on a coaster brake. There are many threads on this forum about brake upgrades, please read up on them. Those older style magnetos were failure prone, especially when wet. The newer ones are much more reliable, but you should still make every effort to keep any moisture out. Welcome to the forum, lots of good stuff and slightly eccentric people on here.

Nice build, Terry. What are you doing for brakes? I hope you're not betting your life on a coaster brake. There are many threads on this forum about brake upgrades, please read up on them. Those older style magnetos were failure prone, especially when wet. The newer ones are much more reliable, but you should still make every effort to keep any moisture out. Welcome to the forum, lots of good stuff and slightly eccentric people on here.

Yes unfortunately I am still relying on the coaster brake for now. This is the second coaster brake on it. The first on the lever snapped and locked up the brake assembly and the remainder of the area bent the frame when it spun around. Had to repair that and pulled another rim off a junk huffy and gave it a nice refurb. I eventually want to get a rotor style setup but that will require me to get a different rim. This is a budget build lol

And do you have a recommendation for an after market magneto just incase this one I ordered crap itself?

The new style mags only have 2 wires, and they have a plastic tie wrapped around the coil which helps it withstand vibrations. If you see a mag with 3 wires, it's the old style.

Back