Gas and Storage for Two-Cycle Engines

Thanks for the confirmation MM.

I'll try that and let you know in 10 years if it's worked. :D
once they legalise HT engines in Australia.

then I'll be able to:

RIDE THAT THING, legally.

Gas Storage

Two things.

Sea Foam was marketed by Mpls MN Win Stephens Buick back in late 60s and did well. I buy can or two every decade to help start/store my Lawnboy mower and used to use it for outboard motor. Do not know who owns company now. Stephens passed on years ago as did his dealership, though company is noted on can, surely.

But, small engine pro across street who never used it...

Figure the Tanaka deserves more TLC, but maybe not necessary.

Anyway, second thing is question:

What about Marvel Mystery oil? It occurred to me they were about same thing.

Gas Storage and Marvel Mystery Oil

It seems to follow that if you can put Marvel Mystery Oil in gas and run it through car, one certainly mix small amounts with auto gas.

And, if I wanted to use with Lawn Boy, the 50:1 would need a bit more oil to run as 32:1, to use up...

Last edited by a moderator:
Gas Storage Engine Storage

As suggested, drained tank, added a bit of Sea Foam and ran the Tanaka dry (may not be good for it), removed engine and set in corner for winter,

Did same with Lawn Boy.

Plan to drop a tad of Marvel Mystery Oil in plug holes, add Stabil to gas.

In spring will use the stored Tanaka 50:1 gas in mower.

Seem like a plan?

ok, I'm no expert on this storage stuff, I remember reading somewhere you can put two-stroke oil into the cylinder and it'll help it store.
Is this true ?

I'll have two stroke oil to use, so when the law changes in 2018, I can pull my bike out,
&
RIDE THAT THING.

I've read of putting a small amount of oil in 2 and 4 stroke engine cylinders before starting for the first time out of storage to lube everything up and prevent damage. Putting some oil in there right when its put away and turning the engine a couple revs would definitely coat everything and keep things from rusting and binding together. I would only use this method for an engine going into storage for quite a long time though. It's a bit overkill for a 4 month stay under a tarp or in a garage.

If you are storing equipment with fuel in the tank, I recommend a fuel stabilizer and top off the tank so that it is full.

If you have less than a full tank, the air in the tank will expand and contract with the temperature in your shed or garage - and the volatile components in the gasoline will slowly be vented away. With a full tank, this loss is minimized.

Gas - Engine Storage

This right? (After doing this wrong for 40 years, with mower and last two with Tanaka, I guess I need to do it right, at least with Tanaka. Mower seems indestructible.)

So, I

1. Run carb dry, which I did in mower and Tanaka;

2. Fill tank(s) with gas mix and Stabil?

3. Squirt a tad two-cycle or Marvel Mystery Oil in cylinders?

Sounds like a plan? Or not?

I know if I screw it up, the world will not end, but getting it right will help my anal brain relax, so I can drink copious amounts of mead and eat bird later.

This right? (After doing this wrong for 40 years, with mower and last two with Tanaka, I guess I need to do it right, at least with Tanaka. Mower seems indestructible.)

So, I

1. Run carb dry, which I did in mower and Tanaka;

2. Fill tank(s) with gas mix and Stabil?

3. Squirt a tad two-cycle or Marvel Mystery Oil in cylinders?

Sounds like a plan? Or not?

I know if I screw it up, the world will not end, but getting it right will help my anal brain relax, so I can drink copious amounts of mead and eat bird later.

Sure does.
If you ask 10 different people about small engine storage, you will get 10 different answers! All of which are probably good solutions.

I like to oil the cylinders, drain the tanks completely, and pull the fuel bowls and make sure they are completely dry before storage. This way, the equipment can be idle for a few years. For 3-4 months of down-time, topping off the tank and using stabilizer will be just fine.

If you ask 10 different people about small engine storage, you will get 10 different answers! All of which are probably good solutions.

I agree.

Hive I gave my 2cents worth in this thread. Just remember this is preventative
maintenence. Truth be told if you left your bike as is and left the country for
2 years, came back, drained the gas and put in fresh, chances are it would
start and run great within the first tank. I say just pick a plan (if you do something
its better than nothing) and make it yours without question. Take care and stay productive.

Back