Gas and Storage for Two-Cycle Engines

"storage procedure"

Their are many people with MANY ideas and different products to buy.
I suggest you" KISS "

" Keep It Simple Stupid "

no disrespect to anyone.

1st,
run the engine until it's up to normal operation temperature.
Carefully turn off petcock while engine continues to run at a med range or high idol
(using up ALL fuel in the carb.)
Spray "fogging oil" if handy into the carburetor. until it dies. .
Let the motor Cool down then remove spark plug and spray wd40 or you favorite penetrating lube down the cylinder. Slowly roll bike back and forth
( it will not start as the spark plug is still out) and the oil of your choice coats the cylinder walls.Re install spark plug.
Then spray the entire motor down with WD40
Very simple and inexpensive.

hope this helps

BlueCollarBob

my 2 cents worth

Well here is what has always worked for me. First I reccomend a fuel stabilizer of your choice, run until you think the stabilizer is in carb and shut off and put away. Running the carb dry allows the gaskets to dry out and leak like the devil when restarted the following year as for years doing this I am so old when I was born if you flipped a rock over it still said made by god. you guys, life is too short to get so defensive over a bike. HAVE FUN DANE

wow -- thanks for reminding me Dane

I am so old when I was born if you flipped a rock over it still said made by god. you guys, life is too short to get so defensive over a bike. HAVE FUN DANE

wow Dane -- and I am older than you

thanks for reminding me

grateful to be here and can still hop onto my motor bike and

ride that THING

Gas Storage

Yes! I wondered about dry gaskets, unless modern synthetics preclude that event.

Guess I will fill carb with some magic stuff like Sea Foam or Marvel Mystery Oil.

You saw that rock after I put it back...I will bet.

But, you are right about getting too involved; still, I don't run the motor all that much and would like it to last a few decades after I pedal off to the stars.

May be not far off that sensible motored bikes will be necessary things.

how many here have bought a new motor from walwart or where ever that has never been started?
Do you think they fog the un run motors or ad extra special lube or grease? Good question ...I think.

How may hear have rebuilt a carburetor then let it sit for a few years with out starting just like many brand new carburetor sitting on the shelf waiting to be purchased.

Most people are only letting the motor sit for a few months not years.

Just somthing to think about.

Cheers

BlueCollarBob

Gas Storage

Yes, your observation was in me head, but since I probably abuse the engine by not running full bore all the time and infrequently - probably more like the Tanaka short run test before shipping - I just wanted to prevent problems as much as possible.

Not very consistent MFGRs material on topic. Tanaka manual is short and does not cover storage, save they recommend removing fuel always from tank????

My snowblower (Honda) says fill and add conditioner...

I understand the engines are chrome lined etc. and fairly durable.

Last year I just used Stabil, as suggested above; this year I drained and wondered if that was acceptable.

Never thought this thread would string out so far, but it has benefits.

I am a bit anal...

filling up tank with gas is fine as it cuts down possible rust in tank.
Thing is .
I would dump fuel as i would not trust it for the new season.
It may be just fine but again I personally would not take the chance specially when you need to peddle to get her fired up.

BlueCollarBob

Gas Storage

Am guessing carb bowl will not dry out over a few months as it is more or less air-tight.

So, stayed with dry (plastic" tank, and with "stuff" already in carb bowl, added a bit of Tanaka 2-cycle to cylinder and set where I won't trip over it, to rest until spring.

Good stuff above, thanks.

Winter Storage and Running Two-Cycle Dry

It just occurred to me that Tanaka and the GEBE people have noted that 2-cycle engines do not like to be run dry. Though only once a year should not prove harmful.

Back