Gas and Storage for Two-Cycle Engines

H

Hive

Maybe I should put into Rack-Mounted section, but one question, which I know has been remarked upon in past, needs fresh response, because recent alternative views, including my small engine guru and ex-small engine tech neighbor has me asking again:

Better to drain gas from tank AND carb by running engine dry?

Or, is it better to add Stabil and run engine a bit. after all, engine will be dormant for say 5 months at most?

I also have two gallons mixed storage.

this same question is floating around somewhere

some suggest using SEAFOAM -- bought at most auto parts stores

for a five period I would just run the engine until it dies - starving for gas

that first (small) tank of gas -- after storage -- I may mix a little rich -- good idea

then just fill her up in five months and

ride that thing

For winter storage, I run "storage oil" through the carbs, shut the engine down and drain the fuel bowl and tank. I use Sta-Bil all year round in my power equipment, but will pour any leftover fuel in my car. (even premix, since it is a very small amount of oil in a car tank)

Maybe not so important with a motorized bike, draining the fuel bowl is important with todays small engines, as they are jetted lean for emissions and are not tolerant at all to the slightest amount of varnish build up.

Putting 2-cycle gas (leftover ) in car

Great idea... Don't think my old Nova will mind a half quart here and there.

Good one!

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I'm going to put my petrol bike into cold storage, this post is useful.
Maybe in five years time when the Australian Federal and State governements wakes up,
and realises that fuel prices are out of control, a 150 Miles Per Gallon motor will be useful
for the working poor, I'll be able to use my bike again legally.

Til then Good night Ned.

Yes, seafoam. My favorite product on the market when dealing with gas/engines.
I overdose my fuel with seafoam and run engine till a stall. then drain the bowl.
In my lifetime...Tens of twostrokes. Tens of small 4 strokes, always started top notch
in the spring. I also use it small dose year round in everything.
This site has specs. and uses.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUp.htm

Small Engine Applications
http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGasSmall.htm

As far as your 2 gallons of mix......Use 1 pint to seafoam to stabilize 6-12 gallons of 2 cycle (gas-oil mix) fuels (average 2 ounce per gallon).

Last edited:
If you drain the floatbowl, then seafoam isn't needed. I have been doing the drain and run dry with no additives on motorcycles for over 30 years with never a varnished carb.

On my MB's, I add double strength stabil and mix it with my 2 stroke fuel and run engine to ensure the carb and floatbowl are full with the stabil treated fuel. Haven't had any problem in 4 years with winter storage on any of my MBs doing the DS stabil.

If you drain the floatbowl, then seafoam isn't needed. I have been doing the drain and run dry with no additives on motorcycles for over 30 years with never a varnished carb.

On my MB's, I add double strength stabil and mix it with my 2 stroke fuel and run engine to ensure the carb and floatbowl are full with the stabil treated fuel. Haven't had any problem in 4 years with winter storage on any of my MBs doing the DS stabil.

True.....No argument there. But I use seafoam for these reasons. Not just for storage.
Assures fast starts
Smooths rough idle
Restores power
Cleans fuel injectors
Cleans carburetor jets
Cleans carbon
Stabilizes fuels
Upper cylinder lube
Removes moisture in fuel
De-icer
Frees sticky lifters
Frees sticky rings
Removes moisture in oil
Cleans P.C.V. systems
Cleans catalytic converter odors
Oxygen sensor safe

Last edited:
I don't really trust any additive that contains powerful solvents to clean deposits and also claims to be a lubricant. Since a two stroke derives its lubrication from the fuel it consumes, it is counterintuitive (IMHO) to put solvents in the fuel. In a four stroke engine crankcase, the addition of such additives will thin the crankcase oil a little, but there is plenty of base oil left. If you are putting a couple of ounces per gallon in a two stroke, the solvent content is more than trivial in relation to the lubricating oil. In the combustion chamber, the solvents will burn off - leaving the lubricant - but I'm more concerned with the bearings in the crankcase.

Back