Gas Bikes vs. Electric Bikes: Pros and Cons List (2021)

ElvisPresley

Local time
7:16 PM
I'm trying to decide between an electric bicycle and a gas powered bicycle. I've started up a list of pros and cons the two types of bicycles have. Can you add to this list?

Gas Powered
Pros:
-Less expensive initial purchase price than electric bicycles.
-Can go faster than electric bicycles.
-Has a farther range than electric bicycles.
-Weighs less than electric bicycles.
-Can be refueled quickly.
-As fuel is used, the weight of the bicycle decreases.
-A gas motor kit can be removed from one bike and installed on another.

Cons:
-OBNOXIOUSLY LOUD!
-Fuel is more expensive than electricity. This makes gas powered bicycles more expensive over the life of the bicycle when compared to an electric bicycle.
-There are less places to find gas than electricity.
-Cannot be taken on trains or in some buildings
-Uses fuel any time the motor is on, even when the bicycle is stopped.
-Heat from the motor can be dangerous.
-Gas is environmentally unsafe, presents a health hazard and is smelly.
-Oil is environmentally unsafe, presents a health hazard and is smelly.
-Exhaust is environmentally unsafe, presents a health hazard and is smelly.
-Cannot be ridden in some places. (some parks, some beaches, some pedestrian areas)

Electric Powered
Pros:
-Quiet.
-Electricity is less expensive than gas. This will make an electric bicycle less expensive over the life of the bicycle when compared to a gas powered bicycle.
-Can be recharged at any electrical outlet. Electricity does not have to come from the owner's residence. This also makes an electric bicycle less expensive over the life of the bicycle when compared to a gas powered bicycle.
-There are more electrical outlets than gas stations.
-Can be taken on trains and all buildings.
-An electric motor kit can be removed from one bicycle and installed on another.
-Does not use fuel at all times like gas powered bicycles do.
-No heat issues.
-No exhaust issues.
-Can be ridden in all areas a non-motorized bicycle can be ridden.

Cons:
-More expensive initial purchase price than a gas powered bicycle.
-Has less range than gas powered bicycles.
-Slower than gas powered bicycles.
-Long recharge time.
-Weighs more than gas powered bicycles. This will be an issue when pedaling without electric assist.
-Batteries pose a hazardous waste issue.
Gasoline is way better trust me. If that is not enough for you than let me tell you something, Electric bikes have so little that they can barely go up a hill while gas can with ease, they're way faster, and one more thing every time you recharge your battery life it holds a little less. So get a gas bike

Last edited by a moderator:
Gasoline is way better trust me. If that is not enough for you than let me tell you something, Electric bikes have so little that they can barely go up a hill while gas can with ease, there way faster, and one more thing every time you recharge your battery life it holds a little less. So get a gas bike
Welcome Elvis,
Did ya notice the guy your talking to posted 13 years ago :LOL:

Introduce yourself https://motoredbikes.com/forums/introduce-yourself.77/ and let's see a pic of your M/B (y)

The duty life of batteries is not refined, although thy are getting better.
Replacing them after X amount of miles is $$$$.

I have a pair of large lithium packs that have over 500 recharge cycles on each of them and I can't notice any difference in range after years of use. Yes... lithium batteries "wear out", or at least start to diminish, but if you treat them properly, i.e., don't charge past 85% capacity or discharge past 20% capacity by using a Grin Satiator they have longer life spans than you would think. They can also be used for other purposes once they are no longer usable for propelling an ebike. Stay safe.

Back