Gas Bikes vs. Electric Bikes: Pros and Cons List (2021)

Jerry check out this bike, incredible range.
If that system was on a hybrid type bike instead of that funky ass frame/minibike style I'd seriously consider getting one and giving up on gas motored bikes. The range is great and the build quality is good. I had the CrosscurrentX model but just 1 battery wasn't enough range for me. That setup is sweet with the controller controlling the power delivery of both batteries.

And honestly, I've ridden 2 stroke dirt bikes, and I can't seem to find the allure of riding a bicycle with that buzzing drone around me all the time. Maybe if I was a smaller fella, I could ride a 50cc 2 stroker, butthat annoying drone at speed would drive me batty...

During WW2 the Japs used Tanaka 50cc 2 strokes as air raid sirens warning of imminent USA bombing raids. Only took 2 of the buggers to warn all of Tokyo.

It's cool as hell how he goes from the road to the trail but slow, pedal assist ebikes shouldn't be ridden on highways just like regular bikes shouldn't be on highways. The speed difference is just too much to ever be safe. I smoked out a cyclist last week cause he thought he needed to hold the lane on narrow windy 60 mph state highway. He was giving her hell holding 20 mph while I followed until it was safe to pass. I started passing with my truck and trailer and another vehicle rounded the corner so I put some coal on the fire and there was no wind at all. I looked in my mirror to be sure I cleared the dumb ass and we literally couldn't even see him lol. It was loaded up bad to from idling around the yard for a while. Interesting 7:00 am though.

...pedal assist ebikes shouldn't be ridden on highways just like regular bikes shouldn't be on highways...

It fun rolling fast with traffic and being able to lip off onto a trail or path and just slowly roll on leaving the noise behind. I don't like riding in traffic. The more the traffic the more I "don't like it"... but I do it every day. Kinda hard for me to ride 30, 40, 50 miles and not be in traffic for some (or all) of it. But I specifically wanted an ebike that can negotiate traffic as well as single-track. Ya get good at taking local routes that keep you out of the worst of it but it's a fact of riding. You should also remember that on the right bike a BBSHD would let you ride at a sustained 50 mph if you are dumb enough to want that. It's wouldn't be a Low-Speed Electric Bike (LSEB) or Class-1 ebike to be sure, but you could easily hang in traffic moving at 35-40 mph. The only thing holding ebikes back is the frame and bike components that aren't designed for those conditions. They are "assisted" bicycles after all. The newest electric motorcycles are pretty f&*king nice if that's what you want. Riding my ebike in traffic, at times I do everything I can to stay "out of the way", other times I take the lane regardless of people feeling upset for a 30-second delay. Lots of people in this area are cool, understand, and actually help,... probably ride themselves, others are moronic f&*kheads. The magic of bicycles in America is that they have all the rights of a licensed vehicle. The magic of a LSEB (Class-1 ebike) is that they have all the rights of a bicycle. But... none of those rights changes physics, as always, might-is-right and traffic sucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back