Gas/Electric Hybrid Systems

Eegaspaddy, the system from station-inc that is being developed looks interesting but bound to be expensive.

The other one using the weed wacker engine and a 10 amp motor is pretty much how I envisioned my idea. I think I will start looking into doing something along the same line.

Simplesimon, my recollection was that the Power Pony was chinese made. I could be wrong however. The last time it was offered for sale in the US that I could find was in 1998. I've been unable to find one or find out who made it. Looks like I need to start looking in S.Africa. I probably would have more luck finding a used Honda EX350.

Dissagrement and a suggestion.

Since the law does NOT address the source of the electricity to power the bike motor(s), a simple small 2 stroke engine/generator set charging a battery as a power demand modulator is perfectly legal, and any cop who writes a ticket on the basis that the bike is gas powered is on a fool's errand. Sure, you might have to go to court - in which case hold out for a jury trial. Most importantly, know the law in your state, and local jurisdiction; keep a copy of it in your tool pouch, and most courteously offer to share that with the cop who stops you.

I don't think that your legal arguement will stand. The law does not say directly powered only powered or something to that effect. If the generator is on the bike it would be the same as if the engine were directly connected to the wheels. If you carry the generator as baggage then stop the bike at a rest stop, fire up the generator and re-charge, you might be OK, but then you would still need the batteries.

Your criticism of SLA batteries is correct, but for low price application they are acceptable. Lately, the alternatives such as NiMH, Li-ion, Li-ion polymer and LiFePhosphate are becoming available. I just bought my wife a bike with Li-ion polymer batteries. So far, so good. I think the battery pack is worth around $300-$500.

I believe I have seen hybrid autombiles discribed as using, "through the road" charging. I think what they are doing is using regenerative breaking capable motors along with a conventional transaxle motor. When the batteries need charging the motors go into regenerative mode while the engine is on.

I don't see the need to add a generator to the overall weight when you can get the motor to provide the same function. You can still get by with minimal batteries, 7Ah should be more than enough. 3Ah might even work. I think the Bionx has a rear hub motor that will provide various levels of regeneration.

You would use the electric motor to lanch from stoplights and at low speeds. When you get up to 17mph on a fairly open stretch, start the gas engine. You can speed up to as high as you need. Then if the battery needs re-charging, apply light re-generation until the batteries are charged.

Repeat as necessary.

Last edited:
Yeah a GEBE system and a bionx rear wheel would work great. But it's a rather expensive venture.

I am in the process of building a hybrid pusher trailer. Basically I took a 36v/350W scooter, stripped it to the frame and took off the front wheel and fork.

I rebuilt a Homelite 25cc gas trimmer engine, bought a wind generator motor off of ebay and am configuring it like ibdennyak did in this thread: http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=6444&page=3.

This photo is his. I am naming it the Denny Hybrid in his honor

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/mac66/bikegenset.jpg

Next steps:

1. Figure a way to hook the gas engine shaft to the electric motor shaft
2. Figure a way to mount both motors on the scooter frame.
3. Figure out the wiring. I have retained the controller for the scooter which will allow the use of a number of functions. I would like to hook up a gauge or meter to keep track of the status of the batteries so if anyone has a suggestion for a specific gauge or meter let me know what and where to get.
4. Figure a way to hook the "trailer" to the bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in the process of building a hybrid pusher trailer. Basically I took a 36v/350W scooter, stripped it to the frame and took off the front wheel and fork.

I rebuilt a Homelite 25cc gas trimmer engine, bought a wind generator motor off of ebay and am configuring it like ibdennyak did in this thread: http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=6444&page=3.

This photo is his. I am naming it the Denny Hybrid in his honor

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/mac66/bikegenset.jpg

Next steps:

1. Figure a way to hook the gas engine shaft to the electric motor shaft
2. Figure a way to mount both motors on the scooter frame.
3. Figure out the wiring. I have retained the controller for the scooter which will allow the use of a number of functions. I would like to hook up a gauge or meter to keep track of the status of the batteries so if anyone has a suggestion for a specific gauge or meter let me know what and where to get.
4. Figure a way to hook the "trailer" to the bike.

Just what I need.....more trouble. Now they're naming it after me. :cool::LOL:

Working on a pm on how I did the various connections. Keep an eye out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back