gas flow problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveet66

Local time
9:40 AM
I bought a motor and had some kid at work put it together for me cause iam no mechanic and know absoultly noththing about motors! anyway I would appreciate some feedback!The bike is a blast but after only 20 miles the gas is not flowing from the gastank to the filter so the kid at work told me to take gascap off and take hose off filter in which I did and it flowed but once I put hose back on no flow.so he told me to try to take out filter and try to run it like that but that didn't sound right so that's why I signed up on here

The fuel petcock has a little screen filter. Remove the fuel petcock with an adjustable crescent wrench and clean the screen. if that doesn't help, replace your fuel line. Use teflon tape when you reinstall the fuel tank.

I agree with both these posts, these cheapo gas caps and fuel filters are potential problems. Also, these petcocks are low quality and have been known to stop up, especially if you didn't wash out the tank, the tank may have been shipped with some crud inside, I heard that someone found a cigarette butt inside one once (!?) Welcome to the forums, these China Girls are a neverending source of joy coupled with frustrations.

yeah but when I take the hose off the fuel fuel filter open up petcock it flows fine do you think it has something to do with filter or should I still undo petcock?

From your statements I suggest you take the bike to a mechanic.....there's always someone in the area that knows about these motors..

a fuel tank makes for a fine ashtray and ive found anyone doing process work starts doing silly things like that :) i would!

yup. get a mechanic.

whilst a motor is so simple it makes my head hurt, im sure theres things you find easy that i cant even attempt :(

Try runnin it that way, it may be that the floatbowl is full, shutting off flow. I know it sounds crazy, but these things have their endearing little quirks.:sick:

I shook my tank. Some kind of eggs fell out. Made them flat. Petcocks are junk. I had casting in mine. an Ice pick fixed it. Look at everything before you ride it. Saves time in the long run.

If the fuel flows untill you hook up the filter, change the filter. And while yer at it give the tank a good flushing out AND unscrew the petcock and clean it. All simple stuff that you don't need to pay a mechanic for. Fuel filters are cheap, around $3 at O'Rielly's in the SMALL ENGINE DEPT.
The tanks have a brittle paint that the cap chips every time you take it on and off. A lot of this winds up in the tank clogging the petcock filter. The petcock filter will unscrew from the petcock making it easier to clean. Anything that gets past the petcock filter will wind up in the inline filter. So it may be clogged beyond hope.
So, Flush, Clean, Replace inline filter. You should be good to go.
Big Red.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back