Carby Gas keeps leaking from the Bike, can't figure the fix..

Zalaki

Local time
2:59 PM
Well gas is leaking from the bike and dripping down onto the floor, like a good amount already. I have changed the fuel lines from the old ones to 1/4inch hoses and then went to 3/16 or something. I couldn't find clamps for the 3/16 so re-installed the 1/4 but the clamps don't fit the hose I have.

I also was reading that it could be the shut off valve to the gas tank, while searching the forums but im not sure how I would be able to inspect that or find out if thats what is the cause. This is the only reason keeping me from riding my decked out bike around and it's eating me away inside not being able to fix it.. :(

Last edited:
Thanks. Had no clue what to search for... tho im new to this I hope at least one of those threads is newbie freindly :/

Gas leak.

Hey Zalaki, Welcome.
Again, As always, so far, (just kidding Stan) Stan4d is most likely right. The top tabs on the float mechinism tend to hit the top of the carb. Not letting the needle seal the gas inlet. a slight bend will do the trick.
Thanks
Big Red.

Hey Zalaki, Welcome.
Again, As always, so far, (just kidding Stan) Stan4d is most likely right. The top tabs on the float mechinism tend to hit the top of the carb. Not letting the needle seal the gas inlet. a slight bend will do the trick.
Thanks
Big Red.

Making me laugh V.

to check the shutoff valve for leaks, simply remove the fuel line and leave the shut off in the off position.
let it sit for awhile and then check to see if there's a puddle under the bike.
Maybe put a papertowel on the floor for the gas to drip onto so you can see if the shut off is actually leaking.
A lot of times the shut off valve will still allow gas to slowly come out even when it's turned off, and if the float level is not set right, gas will overflow out of the carb vent tube.

Gas Leak.

Hey motorpsycho,
You're right about checking the petcock, but if the float valve is set up right you don't REALLY need to turn it off. If I had to remember to turn off my valve everytime I rolled in at 3 in the morning, well, I'd just lose a lot of gas.
Ajusted properly the needle and seat work quite well. If I don't plan on riding for a few day's I'll check to make sure it's off, but otherwise I close it when I remember to, sometimes, once in a while, maybe, well, you get the picture.
Thanks,
Big Red.

hows about the tank bolts themselves?

mine had each and every one slowly develop cracks, hence leaks :)

cure so far has been to hit em with, in this order, a bit of hydrochloric acid applied from a zinc rod (flux!), a big 200watt soldering iron (she gloooooows!), and some solder :)

when i get a new tank the first fix is too solder some washers on with the torch before i fill it with petrol :)

ive never really had a leak anywhere else...one carby leak that flooded me crank and thats it...

also it will seep from around the threads on the petcock screws into the tank bottom i put a piece of black tape on my hose nipple where it screws down in the tank and i got mine to quit leaking

Petcock Threads

also it will seep from around the threads on the petcock screws into the tank bottom i put a piece of black tape on my hose nipple where it screws down in the tank and i got mine to quit leaking
Ya use teflon (pipe thread) tape for that. also, elec. tape WILL MELT in gas.
Big Red.

Last edited:
Back