Gas leak. A problem?

openscreen

Local time
12:07 PM
Due to a faulty petcock, between one and two quarts of gas leaed into the engine. Is this something i should be worried about?

This is my first build. Attached are a couple of pics.

Attachments

• P1010054.jpg
    P1010054.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 167
  • P1010058.jpg
    P1010058.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 136
Due to a faulty petcock, between one and two quarts of gas leaed into the engine. Is this something i should be worried about?

This is my first build. Attached are a couple of pics.

If that much leaked in...yes! I'd remove the plug, ground the plug terminal and ride it like you were going to start it. Let sit for a few hours (evaporate remaining fuel in crankcase) then put it back together. Fix your problem first. Or if you have a air hose, place piston at bottom of the cylinder and spray air into the spark plug hole.

Thanks, Al.Fisherman and FelipeCobu, for the info. I took the plug out last night. Hopefully that takes care of any problems. I once heard that too much gas in the crankcase will thin out the grease, harming the engine. Anything to this?

FelipeCobu, where did you buy a petcock with metric threads?

Dave, thanks for the compliment on my ride. Pipe threads...hmmm, that makes life easier.

hi, Al.Fisherman. Weird, I got your reply as an email but not as part of the thread. Not necessarily a different answer. I am trying to get as much info as possible. Again, thanks for your help.

hi, Al.Fisherman. Weird, I got your reply as an email but not as part of the thread. Not necessarily a different answer. I am trying to get as much info as possible. Again, thanks for your help.

I posted then deleted... I don't think the fitting in the fuel tank is US, I think it's metric. I had a issue with one and if I remember correctly it is metric. I'll take a tank when I go to Lowe's later today.

it's ALIVE!! Thanks, Al.Fishherman, for your help. Started up on the first try. And thanks to everyone for the advice about petcocks.

Back